RTV-900 vs. RTV-XG850: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?

FTG-05

There is probably a +95% chance I'll be replacing my 2006 RTV-900. Originally, I planned on getting another RTV-900. Then I started looking at RTV-XG850 Sidekick at the local dealer - and now I have a decision to make. Help me spend my money.

While I was at the local dealer, the salesman and I discussed the differences between the RTV-900 and RTV-XG850 Sidekick; the former is a diesel, the latter a gas engine. Basically, it's Kubota's answer to the various "Sport" or "Performance" type UTVs that are so popular now (RZRs etc.). While the -XG850 isn't a true sport type model, it's in between the tractor-like -900 and a pure RZR type sport model.

21 hp vs. 48; diesel vs. gas; 28 mph vs 40; better acceleration for the gas (insert "There's a Big Forking Surprise" .gif here); payload 1598 lbs vs. 1435 (this one surprised me); towing 1300 lbs vs. 2000 (another surprise); cargo bed load 1102 lbs. vs. 1000 (cargo bed is same volume 15.3 cu ft.); hydraulic bed lift vs. manual ($850 electric/hydraulic lift as option). Both are four wheel drive. -900 is hydraulic drive (i.e. a small tractor); -XG850 is CVT transmission. Diesel is a Kubota engine; gas is a Subaru (soon to be a Kubota gas engine if it isn't already). Suspension travel is 8" front/8" back vs. 9"/8.5" for Sidekick.

Anyone here own both or have owned both? Comments, suggestions etc.?

Thanks,

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Man, I see why the 850 is in consideration. The 40mph speed would be a real plus. I wonder if you just put it in D (drive) and go like other side by sides. Price wise is the 850 cheaper?

FTG-05

Basic price for the -900 is $13,699; for the Sidekick it's $13,651 - a wash. The difference is in the options. Optional electric/hydraulic dump bed for the Sidekick is ~$800 or so.

If you looked at all the options (like lights, winches, etc.) I would bet good money that they are all the same price and the same parts. The speed difference didn't surprise me. But the towing and load abilities did. You can still get some work done with the Sidekick and have some fun with it too.

ETA: on the videos I saw, the Sidekick has a L-H shifter. Put it in one or the other and go. Acceleration is pretty good too, like light years ahead of the -900 good.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
My X900 has no troubles with hills as others have mentioned....leading me to believe this is an adjustment-issue for some folks.

The questions I’d ask myself are:
Do I expect to spend a majority of my RTV-driving going 40 mph?... or less than 25?
Do I want to deal with stale ethanol gasoline and spark-ignition Issues?.... or prefer diesel longevity/reliability?
Do I want to deal with CVT belts?...or do I prefer HST transmission?

I live in the Texas “Hill Country” so hills are a common journey for me... I have Zero problems with my RTV-X900 diesel as I’ve mentioned.
I don’t drive long-distances between getting on/off my RTV..... so high-speed cruise is not a deficiency for me.... 20mph is sufficiently exhiliarating in the hills, on rough-terrain, and on the ranch. My buddies who use their UTVs for hunting also don’t need to go fast for very far. My buddies who go racing-around in West Texas and run for miles down county-dirt-roads to get to their off-road playgrounds laugh at me for arriving 3 minutes later over a 12 mile journey.... but I laugh at them when we get into the really rough-stuff and I’m “king of the hill” and they’re smelling burnt rubber V-belts.

YMMV. Keep us posted and good luck!

Semper-Fi

I love the longevity of the diesel but ...I'd most likely pull the trigger on the sidekick due to the speed difference. My x1100 bogs down to 7mph on to many hills around here. it makes it up but dang, I feel like I have to pedal or get out and push.
I guess if you have a need for speed get the Sidekick. Or RZR. I am thinking the RTV may have more (long term) dependability. Just my opinion.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
What sold the X1120 for me was a video I saw on youtube where a gator, a mule and an RTV were sent up a steep grade.
The gator and mule, both belt drive, made it partway up but once the belt slipped, they were on their way back down. The RTV chugged up and over like it was nothin. Under normal service, I am sure a belt drive is just fine. But they can and do break and if you don't have your tools and a spare belt handy and a good spot to change it, you could be hoofin it back. Two of my non-farming neighbors have belt drive units (Mule and a Ranger) and neither have had any drive belt issues despite daily light use. I narrowed our choice down to the Honda 1000 Pioneer and the 1120D, both direct drive with no belts. We finally chose the 1120D because I talked with my neighbor- farmers and every one of them had an RTV and used/abused it regularly for many years. I believe the 1120D does hold up better over time. Now if I had the funds, it would be nice to have an 1120D and a Sidekick. :D

Semper-Fi

What sold the X1120 for me was a video I saw on youtube where a gator, a mule and an RTV were sent up a steep grade.
The gator and mule, both belt drive, made it partway up but once the belt slipped, they were on their way back down. The RTV chugged up and over like it was nothin. Under normal service, I am sure a belt drive is just fine. But they can and do break and if you don't have your tools and a spare belt handy and a good spot to change it, you could be hoofin it back. Two of my non-farming neighbors have belt drive units (Mule and a Ranger) and neither have had any drive belt issues despite daily light use. I narrowed our choice down to the Honda 1000 Pioneer and the 1120D, both direct drive with no belts. We finally chose the 1120D because I talked with my neighbor- farmers and every one of them had an RTV and used/abused it regularly for many years. I believe the 1120D does hold up better over time. Now if I had the funds, it would be nice to have an 1120D and a Sidekick. :D
I have 2 very steep approaches to our small lake. Maby 35/40 degree steep. It is very comforting knowing that i will make it up with my X1100C. Do not need any hassle in my life at 80. LOL.

FTG-05

No ones mentioned in the videos that I've seen. I'm sure Neil Messick would have mentioned it in his walk around on the -850; he specifically mentioned it on a video on the new -900.

That down hill braking is one of the -900 best advantages.

FTG-05

No ones mentioned in the videos that I've seen. I'm sure Neil Messick would have mentioned it in his walk around on the -850; he specifically mentioned it on a video on the new -900.

That down hill braking is one of the -900 best advantages.
I take it back. :(

In this video, Neil Messick of Messicks Tractors in PA specifically discusses the downhill characteristics of the -XG850 in this video; go to around 5:40:

Reactions: Doc

Semper-Fi

Roger that...no hassles. As long as you have good tires, should pull hard all the way up.
I put on a set of: Vision P-350 Journey (27/10/14) tires. Probably a similar lug pattern to the Blackwater tires. No problem getting up the grades. That's good to see that the sidekick has the downhill breaking system. Looks like a nice package (massicks video) in the sidekick.

FTG-05

Very similiar to the ITP Blackwater Evolutions, in fact I can't tell them apart except for the lack of "ITP" inside the lugs. Should be an excellent tire.

iu

Semper-Fi

What do they cost?
I bought (27/10/14) tires, Aluminum rims, all stud hardware, (necessary to adapt from factory steel rims) complete. $1,100. The, brand new 2020, factory HD Worksite tires (25/10/12) let me down approx 6 miles deep in the woods. My own fault going over too many stumps LOL. Had no choice but to hump it out to get the trailer. One of lifes learning events. Life is good.

jimr63

There is probably a +95% chance I'll be replacing my 2006 RTV-900. Originally, I planned on getting another RTV-900. Then I started looking at RTV-XG850 Sidekick at the local dealer - and now I have a decision to make. Help me spend my money.

While I was at the local dealer, the salesman and I discussed the differences between the RTV-900 and RTV-XG850 Sidekick; the former is a diesel, the latter a gas engine. Basically, it's Kubota's answer to the various "Sport" or "Performance" type UTVs that are so popular now (RZRs etc.). While the -XG850 isn't a true sport type model, it's in between the tractor-like -900 and a pure RZR type sport model.

21 hp vs. 48; diesel vs. gas; 28 mph vs 40; better acceleration for the gas (insert "There's a Big Forking Surprise" .gif here); payload 1598 lbs vs. 1435 (this one surprised me); towing 1300 lbs vs. 2000 (another surprise); cargo bed load 1102 lbs. vs. 1000 (cargo bed is same volume 15.3 cu ft.); hydraulic bed lift vs. manual ($850 electric/hydraulic lift as option). Both are four wheel drive. -900 is hydraulic drive (i.e. a small tractor); -XG850 is CVT transmission. Diesel is a Kubota engine; gas is a Subaru (soon to be a Kubota gas engine if it isn't already). Suspension travel is 8" front/8" back vs. 9"/8.5" for Sidekick.

Anyone here own both or have owned both? Comments, suggestions etc.?

Thanks,
Yes, have had both and traded my Sidekick in on a new RTVX1140. Loved the faster speed, and towing ability of the Sidekick and have no negatives to report except one, the touchy throttle makes backing up to a trailer tough. That was a minor issue though, really wanted to have all diesel motors to feed and care for and the extra seats that came with the 1140. I was already used to HST’s so the lack of responsiveness compared to the Sidekick was expected. You’ll be happy with either.

FTG-05

I bought (27/10/14) tires, Aluminum rims, all stud hardware, (necessary to adapt from factory steel rims) complete. $1,100. The, brand new 2020, factory HD Worksite tires (25/10/12) let me down approx 6 miles deep in the woods. My own fault going over too many stumps LOL. Had no choice but to hump it out to get the trailer. One of lifes learning events. Life is good.
My XG850 just came into the dealer last Friday! I've already ordered the Orange Aftermarket 2" lift kit. Now I'm thinking bigger tires than the -12 wheels can handle.

Where did you get your tire/wheel combo? Which wheel did you get?

Thanks!

Semper-Fi

My XG850 just came into the dealer last Friday! I've already ordered the Orange Aftermarket 2" lift kit. Now I'm thinking bigger tires than the -12 wheels can handle.

Where did you get your tire/wheel combo? Which wheel did you get?

Thanks!
I bought the tire/wheel combo that was on display at ("Aldermans" in Lennon Mi. 810-621-4201). The aluminum wheels are Vision ; VW-3502711214. The tires are Journeys. Hope that helps.