Adjusting Valves RTV900

Peter James

My 2010 RTV900 that I purchased last winter has 3200+ hours on it and I don't think the valves had ever been adjusted based on the paint on the bolts and the vapor hose going to the valve cover. To adjust the valves it is necessary to have the crank at exactly top dead center (TDC or 1TC). The opening to view the marking on the flywheel is low on the right side near the gear case and the easiest place to get a wrench on the bolt holding the crank pulley on in the front of the engine is by the battery on the left side. No way to see the mark from this position. My solution was a endoscope type camera hooked to a Chromebook computer. The camera was pointed at the hole and the computer set on top of the right side frame where it was easy to see while turning the crank with a ratcheting box wrench (Gearwrench).
This is my $15 endoscope camera.
IMG_20210605_100146111 (Medium).jpg

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
As long as you are adjusting each valve independently (and not attempting to adjust whole groups at a time) ...It should be necessary only to rotate the crank and observe each rocker-arm to observe when a valve is fully-seated. Lash can be adjusted anytime a particular valve is closed and the cam is not placing pressure to the pushrod or rocker.

Peter James

by doing it "according to the book", you are assured the the valve and cam are in the full closed position. It only takes a few degress for crane turning to greatly affect the valve lash.
Peter

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that is a great idea. how much adjustment did the engine require? this is good info. did you notice any performance improvements?

Peter James

Not a lot oaf adjustment was required. I have only used it around the place here so hard to notice any small improvement. I plan to pull the valve cover cover again to verify the settings just to reassure myself. Once I figured it out the setup, it becomes a 20-30 minute job. Another thing that I did early on was to clean the spark arrestor which I think may not have been done regularly. One bolt broke off and I had to drill it out and retap the hole. I put new stainless steel bolts in so that is another job that becomes a quick and easy one to do.
Peter

ko4bg

Site Supporter
Not a lot oaf adjustment was required. I have only used it around the place here so hard to notice any small improvement. I plan to pull the valve cover cover again to verify the settings just to reassure myself. Once I figured it out the setup, it becomes a 20-30 minute job. Another thing that I did early on was to clean the spark arrestor which I think may not have been done regularly. One bolt broke off and I had to drill it out and retap the hole. I put new stainless steel bolts in so that is another job that becomes a quick and easy one to do.
Peter
How often should the Valves be adjusted on these Engines? Don't think I've ever heard of adjusting Valves on a Diesel motor, except after a Rebuild. But as you can tell I don't have a Clue so I'm asking!
Woody

Last edited:

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The RTV-X900 (same engine) maintenance schedule advises to adjust the valve clearances every 800 hrs.