Lightbar Mounting Question

TechJunkie

I am sorry to ask so many questions but I like to be prepared and I can't seem to find this information anywhere. I have made the final decision to purchase an X1140. Hopefully my local dealer gets the one in he has had on order since May of this year. That said I am getting the plastic top and tempered glass windshield. I am considering adding a ligtbar to the front canopy. I have seen some mount them on top. I am wondering about mounting a lightbar under the front edge of the top to better protect it from limbs etc. I realize it will have to be a narrower light bar and I will have to be aware of the windshield in the out position. Anyone do this. I have seen the OEM Kubota LED work lights mount underneath. Just curious of opinions and possibly issues.

Hunter11

Tech, I went and looked at mine this morning and I think you could mount a light bar on the under side of the factory roof. You would have to get it low enough to not reflect back from the lip that hangs down from the edge of the roof. I don't know how far your windshield will fold out as that may limit what you can do. There is not a lot of room under there. Mine is mounted on the roof but I am not worried about tree limbs hitting it We have all our trails through the woods trimmed high enough to get my tractor with a cab through all of them. The cab is much higher then the RTV roof.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would delay this decision until you have the RTV and have driven in on some of the trails you are concerned with.
I had the same concern so I never mounted any lights on top. The RTV I bought last December already had the lights on the top and they have not been an issue at all. My trails also have the low hanging branches and after a storm passes through I never know what is around the next corner. Also, with the extra bright head lights mentioned earlier you might not see the need for roof top lights. My 2 cents. :D

tfdr1

I put 2 lights on my X900 and there were holes in the poly roof that I used. I have a bunch of low branches that I keep saying I'm going to trim but I'll probably do it when one of the lights breaks from them, LOL.

Dave

Attachments

• 20211205_102556.jpg
    20211205_102556.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211205_102546.jpg
    20211205_102546.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 16387181655675770687099443510966.jpg
    16387181655675770687099443510966.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had mine out today so I took a pic to show the lights. They are on the downward curve of the roof so they do not stick up much higher than the roof. I must've hit a branch recently as I had to straighten the passenger side light before taking the pic.
Hope this helps.

AA637225-0671-4908-BEF3-8A74C2C79BBE.jpeg

coobie

I am not a big fan of larger light bars they bounce to much when driving.I had a 42 inch rigid light bar installed and will be changing it our next spring.

TechJunkie

I put 2 lights on my X900 and there were holes in the poly roof that I used. I have a bunch of low branches that I keep saying I'm going to trim but I'll probably do it when one of the lights breaks from them, LOL.

Dave
tfdr1: You read my mine. This is exactly what I was thinking about. I am debating a light bar vs just two lights like you have. I don't really work in the dark but hunt in the dark all the time. Sometimes extra light would be extremely beneficial especially when field dressing a deer, etc.

TechJunkie

Tech, I was browsing our local Craigslist this morning and came across this add. The pics may give you some idea of just what you are asking about.

As Doc said, check it out on your trails once you get it before deciding where you want to mount lights.

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/snw/d/pittsburg-kubota-seater-diesel-4x4/7415693660.html
Hunter11: Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for if I did a light bar. I figured I would have to go with a single row LED light bar but maybe not. TFDR1's picture shows two row lights that miss so my idea might work. Thank you so much for the link. Pictures saved! Man if that guy lived near me that would be a rig to look at.

TechJunkie

I would delay this decision until you have the RTV and have driven in on some of the trails you are concerned with.
I had the same concern so I never mounted any lights on top. The RTV I bought last December already had the lights on the top and they have not been an issue at all. My trails also have the low hanging branches and after a storm passes through I never know what is around the next corner. Also, with the extra bright head lights mentioned earlier you might not see the need for roof top lights. My 2 cents. :D
I absolutely agree with you Doc. I am going to wait to purchase anything until mine comes. I am just shopping and preplanning so I have a general idea of what I want. I will measure and verify once my machine is here. If I can get pictures of others who have done it or warnings not to do it then it will steer me in another direction.

Reactions: Doc

TechJunkie

I am not a big fan of larger light bars they bounce to much when driving.I had a 42 inch rigid light bar installed and will be changing it our next spring.
Coobie: I don't have any experience with light bars so I appreciate your input. My needs are more for hunting or the rare finishing a job at night. Field dressing a deer in the dark with headlights can be a challenge. A good LED bar would make it much easier. I also want lights on the back for loading/unloading. Thanks for the information.

Hunter11

My 42" light bar is solid as a rock. No bounce at all. If it was just mounted to the plastic roof I would agree it would not be a solid mount but mine is mounted to the flat metal of the roll bar at each end.

FTG-05

My 42" light bar is solid as a rock. No bounce at all. If it was just mounted to the plastic roof I would agree it would not be a solid mount but mine is mounted to the flat metal of the roll bar at each end.
Same with mine on m RTV-XG850 Sidekick. It's a Nilight 42" light bar and I used Nilights roll bar mounting tabs under the roof. Solid as a rock.

OP, how tall are you? I love mine except for: The light gets in my way when riding in the woods and I want to look above the horizon and especially trying to look up a hill while going down.

Pics:

F5OlUCY.jpg

Another Nilight light bar on the bumper that I took off my RTV-900 I sold last May. It was on that RTV for over 5 years - solid as a rock as well. Nilights make good lights!

ECNRYpx.jpg

TechJunkie

Same with mine on m RTV-XG850 Sidekick. It's a Nilight 42" light bar and I used Nilights roll bar mounting tabs under the roof. Solid as a rock.

OP, how tall are you? I love mine except for: The light gets in my way when riding in the woods and I want to look above the horizon and especially trying to look up a hill while going down.

Pics:

F5OlUCY.jpg

Another Nilight light bar on the bumper that I took off my RTV-900 I sold last May. It was on that RTV for over 5 years - solid as a rock as well. Nilights make good lights!

ECNRYpx.jpg
FTG-05 I am 5'10". I am looking at Nilight also. They have a single row light bar that I am considering that looks like this on the X1140:

Attachments

• B211E88F-1F4D-48F2-800C-028CDF1A6F30_1_105_c.jpeg
    B211E88F-1F4D-48F2-800C-028CDF1A6F30_1_105_c.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 6

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The problems of mounting a lightbar are:
1- The mount must be STURDY. (mounting to the poly top is not the sturdiest …it will Flex and will but if you mount THRU the top to the ROPS with U-bolts it can be VERY strong. (I used the existing U-bolts which holds the poly top.)
2- Mounting anywhere in your field-of-view creates an obstruction to vision (as pointed out by FTG-05)_
3- Mounting behind any structure at all creates “back-flash” or “glare”.
4-Mounting below the hood/on the bumper lowers/shortens/reduces the “range” of the illuminated area. It also is not necessarily protective of the light from brush. (Think how often you push brush aside with your front bumper.)

I mounted my lightbar above the roof onto the existing U-bolts by simply using a flat bracket onto the U-bolts. It’s sturdy. It has not been wiped-off the roof or damaged from low-hanging limbs (despite the fact I run beneath/against scrub-oak branches all the time.) It’s high for long-distance illumination and give me Zero glare or “backflash”.
The only consideration I had was running the power-cable thru the roof…and that was resolved by using a rubber grommet designed for the purpose.

I also added two rear-facing, smaller, square work-lamp LEDs to the ROPS, below the roof-line, one on each side, with its’ own switch. They illuminate the rear bed nicely as well as light the area for 20-30 feet behind which is useful for a work-area or for back-up lights. (Click on the pic to see the dogs’ plea to go riding!) LOL

Attachments

• B16074B0-65DE-4FC3-B47D-504DD8D8AD8B.png
    B16074B0-65DE-4FC3-B47D-504DD8D8AD8B.png
    13.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

TechJunkie

The problems of mounting a lightbar are:
1- The mount must be STURDY. (mounting to the poly top is not the sturdiest …it will Flex and will but if you mount THRU the top to the ROPS with U-bolts it can be VERY strong. (I used the existing U-bolts which holds the poly top.)
2- Mounting anywhere in your field-of-view creates an obstruction to vision (as pointed out by FTG-05)_
3- Mounting behind any structure at all creates “back-flash” or “glare”.
4-Mounting below the hood/on the bumper lowers/shortens/reduces the “range” of the illuminated area. It also is not necessarily protective of the light from brush. (Think how often you push brush aside with your front bumper.)

I mounted my lightbar above the roof onto the existing U-bolts by simply using a flat bracket onto the U-bolts. It’s sturdy. It has not been wiped-off the roof or damaged from low-hanging limbs (despite the fact I run beneath/against scrub-oak branches all the time.) It’s high for long-distance illumination and give me Zero glare or “backflash”.
The only consideration I had was running the power-cable thru the roof…and that was resolved by using a rubber grommet designed for the purpose.

I also added two rear-facing, smaller, square work-lamp LEDs to the ROPS, below the roof-line, one on each side, with its’ own switch. They illuminate the rear bed nicely as well as light the area for 20-30 feet behind which is useful for a work-area or for back-up lights. (Click on the pic to see the dogs’ plea to go riding!) LOL
Geohorn: you bring up very good points. The glass windshield presents some challenges for mounting as I understand the ROPS is covered therefore mounting under the roof would be only in the roof where vibration may be an issue. I may end up just getting the two row LED light bar and mounting it on the top. Once my machine arrives I will spend some time assessing. I have also considered building a long aluminum bar that would span the top if I decided to use the single LED light bar under the frond edge. I don’t believe it would obstruct the view based not the picture I attached above but as recommended I will have to sit in the machine and evaluate. Thank you for a great detailed list for me to consider. I will also be installing two rear-facing square LED work lights below the ROPS with a separate switch.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Techjunkie…keep in mind that if the lightbar can “see” your hood…. you will brightly illuminate your HOOD…and reduce your forward vision at night. By mounting above the forward ROPs roof-mounts…the forward “lip” of the roof shades the hood from the emitted light and prevents glare.

TechJunkie

Techjunkie…keep in mind that if the lightbar can “see” your hood…. you will brightly illuminate your HOOD…and reduce your forward vision at night. By mounting above the forward ROPs roof-mounts…the forward “lip” of the roof shades the hood from the emitted light and prevents glare.
Geohorn: I had not even considered that. I REALLY appreciate your feedback. That would have been a very frustrating realization after the work of installing it. That changes my line of thinking entirely.

tfdr1

tfdr1: You read my mine. This is exactly what I was thinking about. I am debating a light bar vs just two lights like you have. I don't really work in the dark but hunt in the dark all the time. Sometimes extra light would be extremely beneficial especially when field dressing a deer, etc.
TechJunkie,

I'll try to remember to take a picture tonight from inside the cab with them on so you can see how the light up. I was going to do it last night but we had a pretty good rain storm come through and after bringing in a few bales of hay for the horses I wasn't really up for more time outside soaking wet.

I've dressed out a couple deer by RTV light and feel I had plenty of light.