RTV 500 starting problem

Holsteinerguy

Let me start by saying I am not the least bit mechanical, so if you assume zero knowledge on my part, that's probably pretty close. I have a Kubota RTV 500 that won't start. I assumed it was the battery but the battery checked out good. When I try to start it I just geta rapid clicking noise, so does that point to a faulty solenoid or faulty starter? If solenoid, is that a repair i should attempt myself or take it into the shop? TIA.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I would clean the battery posts and clamps till bright where they clamp together and touch first . . Don't let the wrenches touch any part of the Kubota's metal as you loosen the clamps to clean them . Auto parts stores sell a battery clamp cleaner with a wire brush for the insides of the clamp and a twister for the posts. Real handy to have. https://smile.amazon.com/Schumacher-BAF-BI-Terminal-Cleaning-Brush/dp/B0060YHP62/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1OXERARQN1CF0&keywords=battery+post+cleaner+tool&qid=1650138845&sprefix=battery+post+cleaner,aps,152&sr=8-3 Also check the ground cable , a black one, that is bolted to the frame if that doesn't work. Good luck, Others will chime in before long likely.

Reactions: Doc

v10rick

Site Supporter
Did you have the battery load tested by an auto parts store?
If you used a voltmeter was the battery voltage measured while trying to start?

Sometimes battery voltage will test okay with no load.