Here's a "Talk About Anything" - II

ETF

Bordercollie. it was pretty wild in East Texas too. Most of the bad stuff went to the east of us but we still had 3 tornados. We spent about two hours in the basement with the dogs until it all passed. Thankfully there wasn't a lot of damage. One dead tree came down out in the pasture and lotsa, lotsa branches and twiggy bits around the house. Strangely enough, with all the bits and pieces flying around, we never lost power.

Our basement is like a bomb shelter but the bad thing is that you have to go outside to get into it so you have to get down there early before the bad stuff really starts. Made that mistake once and I'll never make it again.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
ETF that's the way our shelter is too. Have to run past a big oak tree and better not wait too long as you say. We were fortunate because we were only there about 30 minutes- the puppies had been acting odd that morning but minded well. ( I think they sensed something) . The worst tornado...(well x2 for bad ones ) was hearing all of the creaking and popping... a collection of terrible sounds never to be forgotten. This one was like a few others ( tree damage and outdoor stuff) so I didn't consider it very serious for us this time.

Reactions: Doc

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Another round of bad weather... some going N of us. People in Texas, La ,Ark to Iowa and further etc .. be alert. Good weatherman here - live and based at home but excellent with great graphics . bookmark this site for future need .

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Another bad one- hope we're done. Lost 5 trees just behind the house lot more in the fields. We went to the tornado room 3 x yesterday evening and the last time was the worst. It's a steel box covered with Hardee board outside and sheetrock on inside with 3 dead locks on each exterior steel doors , no windows . We couldn't see but we could still hear. really creepy . Huge flash flood too with 3+ inches in just 2 hrs or less. Road near us had trees down also. Lots of tossed trees but evidently localized. Was watching Ryan Hall live and another storm chaser was 5 miles from us watching a suspicious cloud formation so off we went.
The second picture is from the same road that the last storm hit but this is a tree ( one of 3) is from this new storm. 1st picture is from the storm yesterday also. Too big for us so the county will do that - public road anyway.
Things I keep learning.... keep fresh batteries for needed items ... radio etc and an extra battery/power pack for charging your phone.

Attachments

• KIMG1179 jeep.jpeg
    KIMG1179 jeep.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 18
  • KIMG1169 downed tree.jpeg
    KIMG1169 downed tree.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 17

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. That is a huge tree down. Any word on how fast / strong the winds were to push down trees that size?
Glad you are okay and no trees fell on your house or cars or barns etc.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No word on the wind but if you blow up the picture of the Roxor, you can see where the flash flood actually came over the road and washed leaves around the lower limbs of that three... It's still there as of today. I took that picture late yesterday around 6pm. The county finally decided to put barrels up last night. They still haven't put up a road closed sign at where you turn onto it 3 miles down the road... a fellow could crash right into it in the dark..
1st picture smaller trees off of back porch to s 2 picture There should be no water showing on a normal day. This is all flooding as we see off the back porch to sw.

Attachments

• image trees down.jpg
    image trees down.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image flood.jpg
    image flood.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Wow

ETF

Bordercollie, it was bad when it went over us ... but not that bad!

I wouldn't mess with those big trees either. These days I'm too old and not quick and nimble enough on my feet. to handle that one and I hate those hanging boogers. A few years back I knew a guy who was killed cutting on one of those. They can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. They can be dangerous when you DO know what you're doing.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just thundershowers today thank Goodness. I agree ETF . I can't run like I used to - Seems the heel of the boot gets caught more often , especially when crawling over stuff.
In the big tree on the road picture posted earlier, you can see some barrels further past it but those were to warn of a washed out culvert (edges ) The center of the tree is gone now . :) We cut an arch in the other tree left on the little road. We discovered that if we do too good a job the county won't touch it at all. leaving the rubbish for weeks and stopping up ditches. So much other stuff we need to do . I discovered 2 huge trees had been blown into a creek in the back pasture and cause a "beaver dam type blockage. Thankfully, bil has a big track hoe - even then it's difficult. I guess we'll see what happens with that.

Attachments

• KIMG1186 tree in creek.jpeg
    KIMG1186 tree in creek.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 12

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I mentioned in another thread:
"A spring popped up in the yard a couple months ago creating quite a wet area. Dug the lawn up at the spring's origin. Ran some 4" pipe from the origin down towards the creek. It's flowing at the equivalent of about 4-6 garden hoses so it's quite the flow."

I measured the outfall yesterday. It's flowing at more than 5 gallons per minute. That's over 220,000 gallons per month. Wish I had a use for it. That's enough to fill an Olympic size pool every 3 months.

ItBmine

Everyone surviving these storms? What a strange weather year eh. I ready for this winter to go away already.

Probably just jinxed us though because I dropped the plow off the RTV and the blower off the tractor today because I wanted to move some other implements around. I'm sure it will snow a ton now, LOL

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Remember the tornado that went thru Andover, Kansas last week ? My niece took a picture of it from her window . They were on the way to the basement. It turned out fine for them although the other side of town did have the worst impact. They are moving back to MS in June. :)

Attachments

• image(1) Ashley's tornado.jpeg
    image(1) Ashley's tornado.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 17

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No, He's not re enlisting in the AF. They just want to come home. He's from MS too. We're eager to have them closer for sure - They are looking at buying a home about 30 miles from the farm . We are so excited. :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats. And thanks to him for his service. It is tough being away from home. Glad he and your niece can return home.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
We had a sweet gum tree .. HUGE ONE . get completely Exploded buy lightning. I mean pieces large as your body thrown in a 360 radius all directions. Pic wouldnt do it justice

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
Me too ,. I have seen lots of lightning struck trees, But NEVER saw one that EXPLODED ,,
I might have a pic of some of the pieces.. let me look .. Imagine that 360 deg.. pics just dont do it justice.
I over head drone pic would do it?

Attachments

• 0413221033 (1).jpg
    0413221033 (1).jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 19

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Whew !!!!! That 's amazing . Another reason to be in a safe place during storms ! Thank you for the picture HB.