RTV 900 with cracked head

cchaffee

Hey folks.
My 2005 RTV900G overheated, and was blowing coolant on startup (looking in the radiator)
I pulled the head today and I have a crack in the 2nd cylinder from the injector port to the valve.
Also have 2 smaller smaller cracks starting on the outside 2 cylinders.

I've read through past posts on replacing the head. When I search I find a ton of aluminum heads complete with valves.
Has anyone on here had any experience with these? If you did, where did you buy it.
Or where did you find a cast head?
I know I'll get good info here, always have....

Thanks,
Curt

20220911_120614.jpg

rbarger

Hey folks.
My 2005 RTV900G overheated, and was blowing coolant on startup (looking in the radiator)
I pulled the head today and I have a crack in the 2nd cylinder from the injector port to the valve.

I've read through past posts on replacing the head. When I search I find a ton of aluminum heads complete with valves.
Has anyone on here had any experience with these? If you did, where did you buy it.

Thanks,
Curt

View attachment 14091
The one I ordered off of Ebay was listed as aluminum but when delivered it was cast iron. It's been about 50 hrs with no problem. Be sure to flush your system good and check your thermostat. I ran mine about 30 min. and checked the head bolts plus readjusted the valves. Mine is a 2005 also with 1600 hrs.

v10rick

Site Supporter
Wow the price of 902 heads have dropped.

I paid $900 for an eBay head, several years ago,
without a head gasket.

At that time head assemblies, listed on eBay in the $700 range, shipped directly from China.

cchaffee

Pulled the trigger on the one Armyaviatr suggested. I'll keep you all posted. I had to do something, I miss my Redneck Transport Vehicle.
In case you ever wondered what RTV stood for.

Besides plowing season is approaching.....

SheilaF

Hey folks.

Thanks,
Curt

View attachment 14091
I had a similar problem with one of my '97 Kawasaki Vulcan 900's. The head casting finally cracked and started to leak coolant. I've been a mechanic for more than 25 years, but this was a first for me. I ended up going to an aftermarket motorcycle parts distributor and bought new castings for the head. My parts guy told me that this was not an uncommon problem. I just hope that I don't run into the same problem again. I went ahead and replaced the head gasket, head pressure valve and the coolant temperature valve at the same time.

cchaffee

just following up, because I hate when people don't.

I bought the head that ArmyAviatr suggested. I did have to drill and tap 2 of the valve cover holes.
I replaced the thermostat and both temp sensors while i did it.
She's back running finally, now she seems rich at wide open. I will be going thru the throttle/hydro adjustments.