Intermittent wiper for X1100C?

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
The stock wiper is certainly adequate, but I would like to convert it to one that has some intermittent functions. This is especially helpful with light snow or after a snow storm when snow drips from the trees. Has anyone made such a conversion? Back in the 60’s I purchased such a kit from JC Whitney for my VW.

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
here is a switch that seems to have all the required functions and it looks to be the same shape as the existing switch, need to measure the original to make sure. If we could get a wiring diagram of the switch and instructions on how it works we can figure this out.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks, I looked at that but could not find a wiring diagram that matched the pins. I did find this: https://www.amazon.com/12VDC-Windsh...mittent+wiper+delay+kit&qid=1662497836&sr=8-1
and it is simple enough to hook up for the simple one-speed wiper with a washer. I haven't looked carefully enough to find where I might be able to place it in the headliner so I have access to the knob. I just may splurge and take a chance. It isn't very large so I might be able to squeeze it in near the wiper switch.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for this information. That is quite the nice switch! I saw it when I started looking to see what is available but the price is out my range so I skimmed right past it. Only need it 20 or so times a year.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
An old 63 ford had a unique solution for the intermittent wiper. There was a skinny (looked like a mini gas pedal) on the floor board to the right of the floor dimmer switch. Hold it with your foot and the wiper ran once or more if you held it down Since many times even intermittent the wiper is to fast or to slow this was a very workable solution.
I'm sure something similar would be possible for the RTV but not sure how the wiring could be run or where to get such a small foot switch.

Indiana Kubota

Just installed that amazon board yesterday. Works good. Factory switch works as normal. While in off position and key on, turn knob on wiper control and delay is now active from 3-30 seconds. Turn on factory switch and wiper resumes normal speed.

Attachments

• 20221125_115553.jpg
    20221125_115553.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 20221125_113618.jpg
    20221125_113618.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 79
  • 20221125_115600.jpg
    20221125_115600.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Indiana Kubota - I installed the board today and it seems to work OK. Kubota changed the wiring to the switch on my 2022 model so I had to make a slight modification (the lead to the motor is in the middle and not the bottom of the connector). Fortunately I checked it with my meter before going too far. The most difficult part was getting the board into place! The sound deadener is much thicker than I initially realized so not enough of the rheostat came through to engage the threads. Thanks very much for your research and confirmation that this unit would do the trick. :)

Indiana Kubota

Wonderful! Glad you got it! Yes that headliner is thick. I needed to completely debur the plastic and carefully pull shaft of the pot with pliers while only threading the nut on gently about 2-3 threads. Good catch on wiring change.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks to Indiana Kubota I went ahead and installed the wiper delay mechanism (https://www.amazon.com/12VDC-Windshield-Wiper-seconds-Assembled/dp/B07R4G5Q3P/) and his schematic helped. I did, however, find that in my 2021 model of the X1100C the wiring was a bit different. I have produced a sketch of what I did for my machine and it is working well. The threaded portion of the potentiometer has only a few threads and the thickness of the headliner is much more than it looks! You need to drill a 5/16 hole and then remove the fuzz and sound deadening material. I stuffed a wad of bubble wrap under the unit after installation to support the board as it hangs on the potentiometer only and its three leads are a bit fragile.

Attachments

• RTV Wiper.jpeg
    RTV Wiper.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 54

tfdr1

Good info gents! Mine will be here tomorrow and I'll install on my 2 month old X1100. Just wanted to confirm that it's a round shaft and not D style so I can 3D print some knobs ahead of time and see what style of knob I like best on it.

Dave

tfdr1

I might separate the pot from the board so there's not so much hanging on off of it and might make it easier to tuck the board in there.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
The most difficult part of the project was reaching in and around to get the pot lined up with the hole. My hands are too large to easily reach around the frame for the radio. I know I would not have been able to get it into place if all I had to hold was the small potentiometer - even with the pc board giving me an additional few inches of length it was a challenge. Good Luck. I look forward to hearing how you made out.

tfdr1

I guess we'll see how it all unfolds when I finally get around to putting it in. I was also thinking about mounting it near the wiper switch instead of up higher where the previous pictures showed it installed by the radio, but again we will see how it all plays out. I will post an update when it all happens.

Dave

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
What a difference having an intermittent wiper ! Today during some snow I could easily adjust the periodicity to match the snow fall. Certainly worth the $26.00 and a few hours of work. So much better than running the wiper "as needed".

tfdr1

Just got done installing mine. I removed the pot from the board and put about 8" of wire so the board wasn't hanging from it. I ended up 3D printing a knob for it.

Attachments

• 20221217_162334.jpg
    20221217_162334.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • hc_1671307691062.jpg
    hc_1671307691062.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27