2 wd / 4 wd lever frozen

OldMasterTech

My '07 1100 won't shift out of 4 wd - before I start tearing it down has anyone had this problem? Hoping it's just rusty linkage....

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There hasn't been much talk on here lately about the balky transmission and 4WD being so stiff and difficult to shift. That says a lot about the more recent units and that Kubota must have been listening.

Anyway, for me, getting OUT of 4WD is the most difficult shifting situation I can think of sometimes..........I wish we had a better description of what "frozen" means and what "technique" you are using to make the shift............

So, here is what I do that ALWAYS seems to work on my 05...........I pull up to a slight incline and drive up it maybe 30 or so feet. Then I shift into neutral, while I hold the machine still with the foot brake, pushing down hard. When I release the brake I go backwards maybe 20 feet or so. As I stop then, I just pull down on the 4WD lever and it easily slips into 2WD..............

This technique, works for me perhaps 90% of the time. Yes, one can turn the wheel lock to lock, push the brake pedal hard, and myriad other techniques. It seems that one must totally relieve any pressure on the transmission for the shift to happen........

Let us know what happens Bud...........God bless........Dennis

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Remember that the recommended way to get out of 4-wheel is to turn the front wheels full lock both directions before going from 4 - 2 wheel with the engine running and in neutral.

My 04 will not come out of 4-wheel until I do that. Hope that helps.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Remember that the recommended way to get out of 4-wheel is to turn the front wheels full lock both directions before going from 4 - 2 wheel with the engine running and in neutral.

My 04 will not come out of 4-wheel until I do that. Hope that helps.
Great info. That is news to me. Thanks Avantiguy!!!! :tiphat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There hasn't been much talk on here lately about the balky transmission and 4WD being so stiff and difficult to shift. That says a lot about the more recent units and that Kubota must have been listening.

Anyway, for me, getting OUT of 4WD is the most difficult shifting situation I can think of sometimes..........I wish we had a better description of what "frozen" means and what "technique" you are using to make the shift............

So, here is what I do that ALWAYS seems to work on my 05...........I pull up to a slight incline and drive up it maybe 30 or so feet. Then I shift into neutral, while I hold the machine still with the foot brake, pushing down hard. When I release the brake I go backwards maybe 20 feet or so. As I stop then, I just pull down on the 4WD lever and it easily slips into 2WD..............

This technique, works for me perhaps 90% of the time. Yes, one can turn the wheel lock to lock, push the brake pedal hard, and myriad other techniques. It seems that one must totally relieve any pressure on the transmission for the shift to happen........

Let us know what happens Bud...........God bless........Dennis
I had read this earlier on here and that was my technique also Dennis. It works but I will also try Avantiguys technique; always good to have more than one way to skin a cat. :D

Thanks guys!!! :tiphat:

Mark.Sibole

It generally locks from the pressuire on the differential as with all 4 wheel drives.
I generally put the machine in nutral the sping front tires in both directions while applying light pressure to the shifter.If that dosnt do it put machine in reverse and spin steering back in forth while very slowly move backwards and it will slip out every time.Getting it out of 4 wheen drive is a lot harder than getting it into 4 wheel drive.But the backwards action will let it slide out smoothly every time at least for me.
JUst use patients always and youll be fine.

RealtreeRTV

OldMasterTech,
Not sure what you've tried so far, but I would remove linkage from trans (lower left front), jack up front axle and try to move lever at trans.
By jacking up you shouldn't have any torque on front drive shaft.
This should tell you if problem is internal or in cable or pivots. Hopefully it is just a tight joint in linkage.

Hope this helps!

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Sometimes I have to just shut my engine off and it comes right out. Usually only after having the diff lock and 4wd both engaged.

cowdog

My 07 1100 shifts out of 4 wheel drive fine if I back up and turn wheels side to side. The owners manual does state to turn from side to side but it rarely works without me backing up. The transmission has the pressure release knob. I honestly believe one of the biggest problems everyone had shifting the Vht was not having the machine warmed up properly on the earlier models and the neutral set. Mine will not shift at all when it is cold without the pressure release knob, but when I get to operating temp I rarely have to use it. I have had three rtvs 2004 900, 2010 900 and now 07 rtv 1100. The 2010 shifted better than the older models, definitely better than the 04, but it still was not a miracle shifter. I did the neutral adjustment I read on here on the 07 and it shifts smooth when warmed up, unless I stop on a real steep incline but it still ain't bad. When I bought this machine and was unloading it, I thought to myself there is no way I am going to deal with this hard of shifting. I then finally realized that after it is at operating temp and the neutral has been adjusted the shifting almost perfect. When all creep has been adjusted out of it while the rear wheels are jacked up, it is up to operating temp, in high range using the hand throttle bringing it up to full Rpm and has no creep that was as good as I can do at home without the expensive pressure gauges. It worked pretty darn well. But when creep is adjusted out at operating temp it will still have some creep when cold again before it is warmed up properly. One more thing that helped with shifting is taking yalls advice and changing the regular udt to super udt 2. The more I learn the machine the better the transmission and 4wd shifting is getting. Almost not even thinking about it now. I will have to say I think you have to use the pressure gauges to get a perfect neutral. I am learning with y'all. I know this is about the 4wd shifting and I hope you get it to shift out without having to tear into it. Let us know. Cowdog

OldMasterTech

You all saved me a lot of time! I was away since the first post - upon arriving home last night I already had the 1100 parked on a grade so I warmed it up, backed downhill slowly while turning the wheels and it slid right into 2 wd.
Guess I need to read that manual!
Thank you for the responses.

aarkie

What has worked for me is on level ground get to full speed, let off the gas, and take it out of four wheel while coasting

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I agree AARKIE, my general rule was to shift to and from 4wd while moving or in coast mode. It would slip in and out like butter. No special left or right just moving without pressure on the system, usually at the point you go from power to coast.