2004 Rtv900 no electrical power

oleary33

Was using winch and then entire electrical system quit working. No crank no horn no lights. Battery good. Cables good. Fuses good. Power to starter 12.7volts. Power out of starter via blade clip 0 volts. Can a bad starter cause entire electrical system to quit working?

quid_non

Was using winch and then entire electrical system quit working. No crank no horn no lights. Battery good. Cables good. Fuses good. Power to starter 12.7volts. Power out of starter via blade clip 0 volts. Can a bad starter cause entire electrical system to quit working?
Possibl bad or faulty ground? Check/clean neg terminal/post on batt and clean chasis ground strap? I've had this problem before - hi current draw units would not work but low current draw would.

oleary33

Thx quid-non. Cleaned terminals and ground to chasis. Still zero electrical power. Have power to starter and alternator. Just nothing coming out of either. Wondering if the starter is bad would that cause no electrical power anywhere to the rtv?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When this happens to me on my machines, each time it was corrosion inside the battery cable (normally the negative cable). The corrosion is inside the insulation so you can't see it. You may get voltage reading since it may get a few amps through the cable but it can't get enough amps through the wire to the starter. To test, take a good jumper cable in parallel with your battery cable and try to start. Repeat if needed on the positive cable.

quid_non

When this happens to me on my machines, each time it was corrosion inside the battery cable (normally the negative cable). The corrosion is inside the insulation so you can't see it. You may get voltage reading since it may get a few amps through the cable but it can't get enough amps through the wire to the starter. To test, take a good jumper cable in parallel with your battery cable and try to start. Repeat if needed on the positive cable.
Agree with BCzoom - - you could "hot wire" the battery directly to the starter solenoid to check if the starter is bad. Did you check fuses visually or with a VOM (volt ohm meter)?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The WSM will provide the electrical schematic and show fusible links which may have been overlooked.