2014 rtv 1100 wont go faster than 15 mphr.

Dagz

Hello everyone, just want to say thanks in advance as already see the amount of knowledge that is here using the search function.

With that said I did search a lot, but I was unable to really get a clear idea of where to start. I have a 2014 rtv 1100. I have owned this unit for about 18 months. I purchased it used. It has about 4300 hours. It was well loved by a local city. Ever since I purchased it used it has never really got anywhere near the advertised 25 mphr. It maxes out about 15 and reduces power to about 10 up hills. The motor is healthy. I cant confirm rpm but I would lean more towards the hydraulic system.

Anyways. I have not confirmed the linkage is setup 100% accurate. I have not checked the charge pump pressure as I am unsure of what port. It has been all serviced filter and fluids.i have cleaned the spark arrestor. Seems to have silicon hoses off the charge pump. But I am unclear of how to tell if they are collapsed or not. I am mechanically inclined. I work well with pictures/literature combo as opposed to just literature. If someone could point me in the correct direction. Where to start and what to look for. I don't want to damage the rig and more power would be great. Thanks

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it is an 1100 then. first thing to check is the spark arrestor in the end of the muffler. remove it and clean it in spirits or remove and discard. second is check the brakes for dragging?? put it in neutral on a flat surface and push it back and forth or jack up the rear and turn the wheels by hand to see if they are free.

Dagz

Thank you for the replys. I have cleaned the spark arrestor. And it free wheels down a hill at a scary rate of speed. Faster than it will drive so I don't think the brakes are dragging.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have a tach that fits to an injector line. i suppose a photo tach would work ok if you put the reflective tape on the crankshaft.

Dagz

When the pulley appears to stop turning with a strobe light then that is the speed it's turning essentially. I'm sure that would be the easiest way as I don't have the tool you are talking about.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
cross the easy things off the list first. follow the trail of crumbs. do you have a work shop manual?

Bigorangething

Hello everyone, just want to say thanks in advance as already see the amount of knowledge that is here using the search function.

With that said I did search a lot, but I was unable to really get a clear idea of where to start. I have a 2014 rtv 1100. I have owned this unit for about 18 months. I purchased it used. It has about 4300 hours. It was well loved by a local city. Ever since I purchased it used it has never really got anywhere near the advertised 25 mphr. It maxes out about 15 and reduces power to about 10 up hills. The motor is healthy. I cant confirm rpm but I would lean more towards the hydraulic system.

Anyways. I have not confirmed the linkage is setup 100% accurate. I have not checked the charge pump pressure as I am unsure of what port. It has been all serviced filter and fluids.i have cleaned the spark arrestor. Seems to have silicon hoses off the charge pump. But I am unclear of how to tell if they are collapsed or not. I am mechanically inclined. I work well with pictures/literature combo as opposed to just literature. If someone could point me in the correct direction. Where to start and what to look for. I don't want to damage the rig and more power would be great. Thanks
Dagz,
I have a 13 1100 and on a windy day down hill in high gear I can get 21 LOL.
I have noticed that speed improves a bit after the machine is completely warmed up. Are you working it hard enough to warm it up (not just idling but actually working it) so the transmission warms up? These are not speed demons at all, I would say 15-17 is tops...