2021 Kubota RTV 1100 c

coobie

Just sold my 2006 RTV 900 which had 1000 plus flawless trouble free hours on the meter.Purchased a new 2021 RTV 1100c & I noticed the air in take has a round 2 inch rubber hose which is wide open.Would this not be a critter getter for mice and such?I an thinking about using a hose clamp and some screen to protect from this.Any better thoughts ??

Hunter11

My 2020 X1140 has the same air filter intake setup and after 6 months now no issue with mine. Your idea does sound like a good idea to cover it and still get good air flow.

Tsunamibob

Both our 2016 and 2020 1100c's have the same setup. No issues at all. It's real easy to check the filter if you think there might be an issue.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I vote for the screen. Reason follows ....The vent on the gas /electric heater (which is under the house) exits thru an upper pvc pipe sticking out of a panel thats between piers . House is 4 ft off the ground. Several years ago a mouse somehow got in there and got whacked by the squirrel cage blower. The smell lasted and lasted. I found his dehydrated corpse when we got a new unit put in years later. I made a shop fan out of the blower after I used pliers to remove his last revenge. We now have a piece of hardware cloth/screen clamped on all exterior vent pipes. Rats also chewed on all of the telephone wires under there. I had to clean all of that up and will tell that tell in another post in the future.
edit: We have also had birds build nests in anything resembling an opening.

Last edited:

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I took a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth and bent it to fit around the intake tube. I think secured it with heavy duty zip ties. While it is real easy to check for an obstruction, it only took a few minutes and might save the life of a field mouse some day. Congratulations on the new rig. Hope you will be real happy with it.

coobie

Going later this week to pickup the New RTV 1100 wanted to prepare things when I got her home.Thanks to all who replied.A pic of my old unit.

Attachments

• tempImageKeB11a.png
    tempImageKeB11a.png
    16.3 MB · Views: 29

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
That’s why there’s TWO filters inside the canister.... a primary and a secondary. A hardware-cloth screen on the entry of the rubber duct will become totally blocked by a rag, piece of board, or any other large inflexible object. A mouse might get in there...but if he does he won’t get past the primary nor will he be large enough to block air flow.

Kubota diesels do not have olfactory-glands and do not object to the smell of dead mice.

coobie

That’s why there’s TWO filters inside the canister.... a primary and a secondary. A hardware-cloth screen on the entry of the rubber duct will become totally blocked by a rag, piece of board, or any other large inflexible object. A mouse might get in there...but if he does he won’t get past the primary nor will he be large enough to block air flow.

Kubota diesels do not have olfactory-glands and do not object to the smell of dead mice.

My concern is not a mouse blocking the air intake if they build a mouse nest inside the air intake.I think that would create problems.