4-lug/5-lug Wheels?

foxalaska

My new 1100c has 4-lug wheels. I've seen many images of the same machine with 5-lug wheels. Anybody able to shed some light on why?

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I had a chance at buying a set of 4 tires (with wheels) from a fellow that purchased alloy wheels and new tires for his RTV. I had just ordered a new RTV and thought that it was too good a deal to pass up the opportunity to have a complete set of spares. When I went to purchase the wheels and tires I noticed they were 5 lug and I vaguely remembered that the newer RTV's have a four lug pattern. A quick search on my iPhone showed I was correct and I had to turn the purchase down. Not sure why they made the switch, but it appears to have been made in about the 2014 model year.

foxalaska

I want to convert to automotive type wheels and tires. I live in a remote village in Alaska, and bought this machine for primary transportation. Seven+$ per gal gas makes driving a car or truck around very spendy. The climate controlled cab, low fuel consumption and robust construction makes this machine appealing to me.

The 4-stud design may make such a conversion troublesome. I know folks have successfully converted the 5-stud machines. If I wasn't so lazy, I would read thru the entire "tire" skicky thread and maybe find the answer. Hopefully someone has the solution and will post it.

Thanks for the reply,
John

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
would the stock turf type tires that came as standard on the older RTV work for you? they are a light mud tire that wear very good. i have a set on my 1100cw and the ride good and don't throw mud. they are just slightly more aggressive than street tires and are readily available for the RTV

foxalaska

That's a possibility, especially if I could sipe them. The roads are extremely slick in the winter, which is the reason I wanted to use a soft rubber, super siped automotive tire such as the blizzak(sp).

As a new member, I'm sure I haven't used up my "whacka-doodle" idea quota, so I'll float this one to ya. Any chance of capping worn out rtv tires with a Bandag siped cold cap?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
wanted to use a soft rubber, super siped automotive tire such as the blizzak(sp).

As a new member, I'm sure I haven't used up my "whacka-doodle" idea quota, so I'll float this one to ya. Any chance of capping worn out rtv tires with a Bandag siped cold cap?
As a member that has been here a couple more days than you.....I need to use one of the whatever a whaka-doodle idea is with you........what in the world is a super sipe, or a blizzak, and a Bandag siped cold cap..........

Surely with all the respect towards you I can give and sorry if this seems rude; but I truly need an explanation by someone......I guess I have been back in the woods down here WAYYYYYY TO LONG. I still don't understand what all this emoji stuff or twitter feed even means.........Thanks....God bless....Dennis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
look up or google " kubota worksite tire" you can run low pressure in them and although i have little experience with siped tires i think the rubber and the tread pattern would suite you.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
After I asked my dumb a.. question I looked up the terms you were using and came up with the answers.......Got me to thinkin as to why we have to spend so much for our tires when we could use retreads........Surely not going high speeds nor really lots of stress, except for perhaps loads......This truly deserves some research and Bud, gotta thank hyou for bringing up this for me, valid question.......HOPE SOME FOLKS THAT HAVE USED THEM, not just rumor control, but used them on our RTVs or such and can provide suppliers and thoughts.........God bless....Dennis

Mark.Sibole

a lot of tires can be studded and if on constant snow and ice studs would be a definate help.I think most new tires can be studded with no problem as there is a lot of tread on them to accept studs

foxalaska

Not a fan of studs on hard ice. Tried them on my car one winter. Slid thru to many stop signs. Siped soft rubber tires is the tire of choice around here. The only tire the truckers on the haul road use in the winter, although they wear poorly on dry pavement or gravel and should only be used in the winter.
I really think the answer is to sipe a turf tire if I can't adapt an automotive wheel to the machine.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wondering who makes a "recap" that fits our wheels?????........Then, inside of that, who makes one with real strong/heavy duty "mud lugs"????????

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Not recaps I have Dennis but my Blackwater Evolutions lugs are sure stout . The web sits says how deep they are- maybe 1 " for the 26"s if I remember right - but are deep and hard rubber - weigh 25-30 lbs each.- I also like the rim guard- that thick rubber ring next to the rim.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Collie........actually, I tried the "knobby" Kubota tires this time around. Yes, they get traction out the tail; but that traction is responsible for some healthy ruts on my fragile pasture top soil and the various road/trails on the place.......Before these, I had gone through 2 sets of WorkSite type tires and that is what I want to go back to. It seems that I had the traction I need to do what I do with them. I tried the "knobbies" as I got a very good deal on them from a dealer take off and just wanted to see what would happen.

What happens is the above mentioned difficulties; but the main problem is life span of them. Our driveway/ is a mile long. Half of it is asphalt and the other, gravel. It seems that the asphalt is eating up the treads pretty fast on these current tires. The worksite's are effected yes, but surely not as fast..........So, some recaps, either way would be great........

Anybody need some 4-hole rims????......God bless.....Dennis