5030 4-wd transmission issue

Scott wykle

My 5030 Ford/ New Holland 4-wd tractor will not shift into gear while running. It's constantly trying to pull. Any help would be greatly appreciated

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
I don't have a Ford but here's some generic thoughts.
What do you mean by "It's constantly trying to pull"?
Can you put it in gear with the tractor off? Can you start the tractor with it in gear?
Does the FEL and 3-point hitch hydraulics work OK?
How's the hydraulic fluid and filter(s)? Replaced recently?
Does it have a shuttle shift? If so, is there a cable going from the shuttle shift to a dump valve? Is that cable good? If no cable, is there a solenoid there and is it working when you try to use the shuttle?
If you rev the engine with the clutch depressed, when you quickly let off the throttle, while the revs are coming down, can you get it into gear?

Scott wykle

Welcome to the forum.
I don't have a Ford but here's some generic thoughts.
What do you mean by "It's constantly trying to pull"?
Can you put it in gear with the tractor off? Can you start the tractor with it in gear?
Does the FEL and 3-point hitch hydraulics work OK?
How's the hydraulic fluid and filter(s)? Replaced recently?
Does it have a shuttle shift? If so, is there a cable going from the shuttle shift to a dump valve? Is that cable good? If no cable, is there a solenoid there and is it working when you try to use the shuttle?
If you rev the engine with the clutch depressed, when you quickly let off the throttle, while the revs are coming down, can you get it into gear?
Thanks for the reply. All hydraulic components work fine. No cable for shuttle shift linkage goes straight into the transmission. When you depress the clutch you can hear the clutch move in the bell housing. It won't start in gear. But will shift fine not running. I'm at a loss?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Has it been sitting for a long time?
Sounds like something in the clutch or synchro is frozen up.
Is there an inspection plate/cover in the tranny you can remove to inspect all the movements?
Did you try to put it in all the gears? Sometimes the highest gear may work if something is frozen.