A cab and A/C, I wish!

Mith

You know that weather before there is a thunder storm, really hot and humid, really sweaty.....
Its that weather here now.

Is there such thing as after market A/C units? Like a little box you can put in your cab to cool it?
Would A/C be difficult to add to something? Like making your own from parts?

I must confess, what I know about A/C could be written on the back of a fag packet.

Any thoughts?

You guys with cabs suck :respect:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I doubt they are manufactured today but years ago you could buy an evaporative cooler that set in the floor of your car and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. If you could find one you could make a bracket to hold it on the tractor.

Jim

B

bczoom

How about some sort of setup to directly keep the body cool?

I know nothing about them other than they exist. It some sort of vest that holds frozen packets or something.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've seen ads for this 'thing' that looks like a 3 ft piece of rope. It goes around your neck and keeps you cool. I've never tried it and thought it was some kind of gimick. Perhaps a wet wash cloth setting on the back of your neck would accomplish the same cool down, but it would also get you a little wet.

OT:
:yum: you made me laugh Mith, with fag and suck in the same post I'm sure google will find us for all the WRONG reasons. But that's okay. :D

BoneheadNW

Jim-
I didn't think that your area gets hot and humid that often. You guys are even farther north than we are. Is that weather normal for this time of year?
Bone

Mith

Bone, for whatever reason (gulf stream maybe?) it gets pretty hot.
Pretty much wear T-shirts all year round.

Down south here its alot sunnier and hotter than people might think. I wouldn't be surprised if it got to 100 this year. It was nearly 90 the other day.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The weather has been a bit extreme here also. We've had multiple days over 90 so far this year. Very unusal. I sure hope we don't get to 100. When it gets that hot it's actually to hot to boat. :eek:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We've had some dry hot days too. The picture was taken last Thursday in the shade on our covered porch with ceiling fans. It's cooled off some, the weather guessers on TV are predicting a high of @80 or so.

Jim

Jim, thats degrees F, not C. Both me and the camera would have melted at 97C.

Attachments

• 2007_06_07_temp.jpg
    2007_06_07_temp.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 347

Mith

Anything over 90 really doesn't agree with me.

I've got a little trailer that I put a tarp in and fill with water. Mini swimming pool! Works for me :D

I wish you guys would catch up with the rest of us and start using degrees C ;)

BTW Jim, congrats on your 100th post :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wish you guys would catch up with the rest of us and start using degrees C ;)

I was surprised to see you use F in your post about the heat, but I was glad you did. I don't know what 100 degrees C is. :hide: So it wouldn't have meant much to me. I would have had to ask for the F conversion (or found one on the internet).

By the way Mith, your at 97 posts, ready to crash through the 100 post barrier.
Congrats to both of you Jim's (Mith Jim and Jim Slagle). Good job guys! :beer: :beer:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
here's post 101 :wave:

How about just everyone switching to kelvin?

Absolute Zero is 0, freezing is 273.5 and the boiling point of water is 373.5.

Doc, here is a memory aid:

Thirty is hot
Twenty is nice
Ten is cool
Zero is ice

Mith

:D Doc, by habit now I convert everything to imperial for the 'net guys.
I can work pretty happily in either metric or imperial. Do have a little trouble with fractions of an inch, decimal is so much easier.

100C is the boiling point of water BTW ;) 0C is freezing point

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:D Doc, by habit now I convert everything to imperial for the 'net guys.
I can work pretty happily in either metric or imperial. Do have a little trouble with fractions of an inch, decimal is so much easier.

100C is the boiling point of water BTW ;) 0C is freezing point

:yum: Yep, that is about all I know on the Celsius scale (zero and 100). :D

Thanks for the conversion for us dummies. :pat:

I agree decimals are much easier than fractions .... but when I'm doing wood working is when I find the fractions neccessary. If I need a board 30 and 5/8's inches long ... or maybe I need one 39 and 15/16's inches long ...
Do you have a way to use decimals in that situation? Just curious. I guess your tape measure could have .1 through .9 between of the main marks. :confused:
sorry to take the thread so far off track.

Mith

Yup, thats what the metric tape measures have, each whole unit has marks for .1-.9 between them.

So much easier to add 1.9 to 1.75 than it is to add 1 1/64" to 2 5/16" :D

:p I cant even remember what this thread started off about ;) :D

Av8r3400

I saw a unit advertised in an aircraft magazine that was a small cooler with a blower unit in the lid. Simply put, fill the cooler with ice and the blower would circulate air through it cooling it and blowing it out.

I have my doubts on how long a 24 quart cooler full of ice would last in a tractor cab, but it might be the source for an idea or two.

Other wise look up Red Dot Corporation.