Air Conditioning Problems on '10 RTV 1100

DeereOrange

I am having problems with my air conditioning on my 2010 RTV 1100, just at the onset of heat, fun. My clutch on the compressor does not click on, although it is not frozen up as you can move it by hand (with the engine off obviously). Green light comes on as normal in dash button and fuses are fine. Don't know which relays to check though. 1"x1" relay above the steering wheel knuckle appears to be weeping some brown liquid but dunno if that is normal or not. Any other advice?

razerface

well,, i have not messed with my air on the 1100,,,,but on any truck i have owned,,when the clutch won't kick in, it is low on refridgerant

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
DeereOrange:

Sorry to hear of your A/C problem. Other things you might check; temp control dial, fan switch, a/c switch. Look into the sight glass to see if the refrigerant is flowing through its circuit.

DeereOrange

Thanks Keifer, I did note my antifreeze was low and it was running hotter than it should. Added antifreeze and temp gauge normalized nicely, although it is only in the upper 60's today but still no A/C clutch engaging. Is there a minimum ambient air temperature outdoors we need before it will engage as it is pretty cool yet today?

razerface

i turned mine on in the winter time when i bought it,,just to see if it worked. It should work at any temp. Look in your book to see example of how to check the air conditioning refridgerant thru the little window.

Mark.Sibole

A lot of the newer systems even on cars wont kick in untill about 70 to 75 degrees.I know on my truck it wont kick in till at least 65.As others stated check refridgerant fuses and coolant level.But im guessing it isnt warm enough for it to kick in.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SIDEBAR ALERT:

A lot of the newer systems even on cars wont kick in untill about 70 to 75 degrees.I know on my truck it wont kick in till at least 65.
Interesting. On all of our vehicles (AFAIK), the A/C works at all temps. Actually, if you put the controls on defrost even on full hot, it fires it up automatically as the dry air helps defrost.

How new is your truck (and what kind)?

aarkie

Like some others said it could be the low pressure cutout due to low charge. Something else it could be is the plug on the back of the switch has come lose. I got mine used and that was the problem.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know the set up on the RTV with a/c but did recharge the freon in my parents car a few years ago. I bought a simple, inexpensive set up at walmart with a gauge and it worked fine- just following the directions that came with it. bordercollie

DeereOrange

Thanks bunches Keifer. I did get the AC information and it was indeed helpful. Turns out (the wife) didn't keep her eye on the temp and RTV got a little hot. Looks like it might have bothered the plug toward the bed side of the AC compressor because when I tried moved it in an attempt to change out the pigtail, the compressor finally engaged! Whala. Done. I am back in business with ice cold AC. I will tell you though that this was a total luck in timing that I had already changed out the coil. I knew the clutch would engage if it had juice because I jumpered the + and - on the coil directly to the battery + and - (the - on the coil is not grounded just because the compressor body is grounded to the frame, the coil requires a negative charge from the battery) and the clutch clicked. Then I started the engine with it jumpered and the AC blew cold and my low and high were within specs so I knew that was fine. I had voltage all the way to the pigtail but not to the coil. Then I saw it. Removing the pigtail connector from the AC Compressor coil (directly behind the pulley) I noticed one of the flat electrical connectors remained in the female of the coil connector. Evidently after the temp gets high it will cause the coil to weaken its hold on these flat electrical contactors and when you unplug the coil, these little flat things can break off and remain in the plug. I was able to work that flat thing out but now had to replace that part of the coil. Very nice guy at Denzo said the coil is not available from Kubota, only the whole compressor. He did give me a part number and told me to go to a Toyota dealer and order that part number as it was a the exact same coil as on the Kubota. Just in time for summer! We're gonna do a better job keeping an eye on the Kubota's thermostat! My next challenge is getting a used 350 Mag front tire 25x10x12 my wife put a stake through. Also need the 1 on 1100 on my front fender.