Back from the Dead

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
I will try to attach pictures of my old Ford 3000 that I brought back from the dead.

I've owned my place 24 years and got her shortly after getting the place. I spent about 10 of the early years on the place cutting, raking and baling hay, shredding and taking of the garden. She worked HARD all those years. Then about the next ten she did mostly shredding and garden work. When the kids grew up and left the gardening went on hold and then after leasing out my pastures and meadow I even had someone shredding the few acres that they didn't lease.

Recently I took over taking care of about six acres around the house and plan on retiring in about 4 years and will start messing with cattle again. So I bought a new green and yellow tractor with a front end loader. The old Ford became excess, so after it sat up several years I brought her back to life.

I had to remove the injectors and pour brake fluid in the cylinders and mess around a lot to free up the motor. Once free the starter wouldn't kick her off, so my wife towed me with the new tractor and after lots of smoke it ran well and cleared out nicely. Some fuel additive, filter draining and running some it has smoothed out beautifully and starts quickly.

I got it hot and drained the oil. After the oil stopped draining in a stream, I poured several gallons of diesel fuel through the open crankcase. After fresh oil and filter and about an hour running, the oil is still very clean.

I had to put brushes in the generator and found them not only worn out, but one lead was broken. I then put in a new regulator and the charging system straightened out. I put a new seat on her and had to mess with the 3 point after it wanted to stay in the top position.

She really starts, runs and drives well now. I'm looking for a new home(this post is not meant as a classified ad) for her and I'm sure she will serve someone as faithfully as she did me. She was an amazing machine. Worked hard, rarely ever gave any trouble and would run all day on a seemingly thimble full of oil, even when working hard like baling.

The muffler I found on the side of the road new in the box many years ago. Just like myself, the muffler and the tractor, "looks bad, works good."

Here she is:

BTW, that's my Australian Shepherd, Harry observing from his relaxed position at the end of the driveway.

Attachments

• DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 110

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's a nice looking Ford 3000. Kinda reminds me of an old Ford 8N that was my first tractor. It was about 50 years old when i got it. Rough for sure. But I loved that ole tractor. It got me off to a good start on my property. I really wanted to keep it but had to sell it to gather more cash to upgrade to a 4wd tractor.

elkhound

Site Supporter
Before buying my Kubota L3000DT my Uncle's 1974 Ford 3000 was the only tractor I've had any seat time in. We used his 3000 to plow, and disk a couple of fields every Spring to grow cain for making molasses. And had the occasional bushogging job. Incredibly tough and reliable.

Great looking Ford 3000, and glad to see Harry keeping an eye on everything.

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
The Last Ride

Gonna saddle her up for one last ride. I have her for sale with an ad placed locally this week. I'm starting to get a few calls and it looks like she'll sell. Unless weather keeps me from it, I'm going to put my old shredder on her and shred a little one acre or so unused pen near the house this weekend.

Most of my work lately has been clearing fence for my wifes new garden spot, so Harry hasn't been able to follow a tractor around the field lately. He likes to run along next to me. When he was a pup he almost got sucked up in the baler a few times. He would fight it and bark at it. Luckily he got wise and stopped fighting before he was baled up.