Brush/forestry guarding

Mith

Hi Folks,

any of you fitted brush guarding to the underside of your tractor? Also around the cab?
Wondering about thicknesses of steel etc?

Tractor is 60HP, weighs about 7000lbs.

I'm paranoid about breaking something expensive, not to mention the possibility of losing the trans oil or something if a filter gets trashed.
Already smashed the top of the cab. Was quite close to a tree and dropped a wheel into a hole tipping the cab against the trunk. Oops!

I reckon I can probably figure out hot to fit up belly guarding, but at a loss how to do anything around the cab without making it hard to see out and also impossible to open the windows!

Kanook

That must be some nasty terrain you're driving that tractor over if you run the risk of scrapping the bottom of your tractor. I would think you would need some pretty thick steel plate to support a 7000# tractor. I always had the impression that merry olde England was rolling country. And those character lines that get left on the cab from rubbing on trees just prove that tractor driving is hard work. If there is a tree on a tractor owners property, that tractor cab will eventually make contact with it..

Mith

To be fair most of the countryside is relatively rolling.
However, that doesnt stop people leaving stumps 18" tall in a field of 3' long weeds!

The underside protection isnt as important as the cab stuff, just want to avoid hoses snagging etc. Protecting the glass in the cab is most important.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Mith, good to see you man. How've you been mate? Nice to see you back online.
I remember someone used a diamond mesh material for the underside so that air could still get through. It would take the first hit if you found one of those pesky stumps but it sure would not support the entire weight of the tractor.

rangerdave

I feel your pain! Almost every tractor made today seems to have been built for the gentleman farmer.... Look at the tractors from the early 80 and before - barebones and protected. All of the new tractors seem to have every hose fitting and dangling wire exactly where you wouldn't want it! Just look at how much stuff the Kubotas and John Deeres are routing externally because it is just cheaper???
Here's some pics of what I had to do to protect the bottom, engine, brush guard and roof.... The large black piece of bridge steel is what I ended up using to reinforce the center section and create a bomb proof rear skid guard. It seemed like every important hose, wire, filter and electronics were place in the most likely place that the front turning tires would launch something directly into the engine!!! So I had to fab up some plate to cover the large hole on the side of the front from the midway point below the engine to the skid plate....

For the most part 3/8" and 1/2" works for building the frames and 1/4 -5/16" is adequate for the skid plating as long as it is reinforced...

I added a swing back front wind shield to my canopy. The front and rear windows are made of lexan.

Some people that are really serious put wire mesh around their cab so that a 2" stick doesn't get kicked up by your tire chains and harpoon you... food for thought..

Attachments

• DSC02746.jpg
    DSC02746.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 79
  • SMDSCF1314.JPG
    SMDSCF1314.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 77

Mith

Hi Dave,

looks like you have done a good job there. I understand the belly guard serves another purpose though (but we wont go there).

They sure dont design tractors perfectly. My brake lines are quite 'loose' against the transmission. The hydraulic flilter also sits quite low.

Looks like your guard is made from some I beam. I guess the trick is to get a large bit of metal, bolt it on and work out from there.

Out of interest, did you look at the TRG? Bigger wheels and more ground clearance. Looks like a TRX you have there.

This is the tractor in question.

rangerdave

Yup a TRX. I was looking for equal front and rear wheels like my old Pasquali - I liked the skidder look. Finding anything with more than 8" of ground clearance was a task! You would think the engineers would design the tractors for folks who drive their tractors off the well manicured lawns and gardens.... and do the dirty work...