California owners

LABMAN

In a previous posting I stated that a friend and I got off road stickers so that we could operate on forest service land. Today I hauled the RTV down to DMV, after buying a new 16 ft tandem axle trailer, so that they could check the vin number. The manager of the branch office is on vacation for another week and she didn't leave any notes on what had been decided before. The person I dealt with today couldn't help me because the only numbers we could find was on the sticker under the bed on the drivers side. At least I got a new trailer out of the deal. It seems that I was overly optimistic before. It's not over until the fat lady sings.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="LABMAN"]The person I dealt with today couldn't help me because the only numbers we could find was on the sticker under the bed on the drivers side.[/quote]
That tag you're talking about is the VIN.
It's something like:
KRTV900A710nnnnn (where nnnnn is your unique serial #)

LABMAN

The vin number wasn't enough for the lady, she wanted other stamped numbers. About two hours after I got back home and unloaded and unhitched I received a call. On her lunch hour the lady at DMV had called Sacramento to get assistance. She said that if I could prove that the machine passed air quality standards in California she could give me the sticker. So I rehitched and reloaded and headed back to DMV. She copied the numbers off the valve cover sticker and gave me my green off road sticker. They will also be creating a title to replace the certificate of origin, which she kept.

I must say that besides being apologetic about any inconvenience I might have incurred, I can't believe that she actually spent her own time to help me.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="LABMAN"]The vin number wasn't enough for the lady, she wanted other stamped numbers. [/quote]
[begin-rant-mode]
OK, sorry Labman but what the heck is going in Kalifornia. You poor residents already have the laughing stock legislative and juducial systems of the country but this one's got me confused.

The only way they can get the engine model number is for you to take the machine in for their personal inspection?!?!? Do all vehicles get a good crawling over by some DMV desk clerk? Where I live, ATVs, UTVs and Snowmobiles all get registered through the DCNR (conservation and natural resources) which is only in the capital. If they took your off-road vehicles from the DMV to your equivelant of our DCNR, does everyone have to drive to Sacremento for an inspection?

Since when isn't a VIN enough? Doesn't the VIN tell them what the engine is (and if it meets CARB requirements)?

Heck, I was a little upset when I got a call saying my VIN was one digit too short. I e-mailed them a pic of the VIN tag and they said "Hmmm, OK", then mailed me the title and plates.
[/end-rant-mode]

LABMAN

bczoom
California is one of the most over regulated states forcing many businesses, as well as individuals, to leave for friendlier surroundings. Department of Motor Vehicles is notorious for not being vey sympathetic or understanding. That is why I was surprised that the clerk took her lunch time to help me. And yes she did climb under the bed of the machine to confirm the numbers, and I held the dirty mud flap out of the way so that she wouldn't get dirty. I'm curious if anyone else has registered their machine for off road in California or if I'm the first? It sure seems like we broke new ground from all the confusion that was created.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="LABMAN"]I'm curious if anyone else has registered their machine for off road in California or if I'm the first? It sure seems like we broke new ground from all the confusion that was created.
[/quote]
Can't speak for RTV's but thousands of other UTV's have been registered and I've never heard them say that engine models/specs needed to be collected by the DMV.

When the RTV came out in '04, there were some questions but it was mainly that states didn't have a classification for them, primarily due to the RTV's weight. AFAIK, the other 49 states got it straightened out in the same year...

LABMAN

I just found out that all gravel roads are not equal. Forest service roads that are designated useable by passenger vehicle traffic can not be used for off road vehicles. Anyone who plans to use USFS roads for off road vehicles should carry a map of road designations. This effectively made all the frustration and hassel of registering the RTV as an off road vehicle, for me anyway, a waste of time. I thought I'd cut a fat hog. If the state regulations don't get you the feds will!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Grrrr, that stinks.

My first sentence in my earlier post (rant mode) unfortunately continues to hold true.