CB/Amateur Radio In RTV?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
NO Not Snobs at all, But don't try to come in when you don't have the Qualifications, get a Ham ticket and Meet some of the Nicest people in the world and all over the World of all Faiths and Back Grounds and Genders, I've had friends all over the the World for over 30 yrs But like everywhere there are a few But a Very small amount of A/H, and that's true everywhere even here!
I “get it” that the Ham operators don’t desire a bunch of truckers on Ch19 types barge’n in.... Perhaps because I’ve spent a career on the airwaves dealing with highly-technical and specific communications (air traffic control, etc) , perhaps I have a different perspective as to question why it’s necessary to jump thru a bunch of hoops concerning protocols, and have a background in Morse that will never be used.... If so, I apologize for being curious.
I just don’t see why a group of amateurs (which is what this really is).... should feel people who‘ve spent their professional careers transmitting/receiving critical communications in compliance with ARTCC and FCC regulations should somehow be excluded from immediate entry or at least a fast-track program.... The HAM course offered at a convention in (small town in North Tx) was a one-day licensing that demonstrated the amateurism for those people who used radiotelephony for 40+ years in their professions.
Perhaps it was a ”fluke” that the instructor was so condescending that half the class walked out...
I believe it was a disservice to the hobby, as well as to those Ham operators who perform valuable public services.

ko4bg

Site Supporter
I “get it” that the Ham operators don’t desire a bunch of truckers on Ch19 types barge’n in.... Perhaps because I’ve spent a career on the airwaves dealing with highly-technical and specific communications (air traffic control, etc) , perhaps I have a different perspective as to question why it’s necessary to jump thru a bunch of hoops concerning protocols, and have a background in Morse that will never be used.... If so, I apologize for being curious.
I just don’t see why a group of amateurs (which is what this really is).... should feel people who‘ve spent their professional careers transmitting/receiving critical communications in compliance with ARTCC and FCC regulations should somehow be excluded from immediate entry or at least a fast-track program.... The HAM course offered at a convention in (small town in North Tx) was a one-day licensing that demonstrated the amateurism for those people who used radiotelephony for 40+ years in their professions.
Perhaps it was a ”fluke” that the instructor was so condescending that half the class walked out...
I believe it was a disservice to the hobby, as well as to those Ham operators who perform valuable public services.
I get it Just Because you used a Radio in your Job your immediately Qualified to be a Ham, and your Right it is a Amateur HOBBIE But just like your Job in Air Traffic Control, you could say I drove a Taxi or Wrecker and used a Radio every day, I should have the Right to get on the air and talk All over the World on any Frequency you want, Well I guess you know what's Best and how good you are, But a Lot Guys like me and a few Other Hams on here don't see it that way, and we had to Bust our Ass to Learn where we could talk and Where to use Digital modes and Where to use Code, and you DON'T have to Know the Code anymore, so Go take the Test and Join us You'll be Welcomed most anywhere on Thousands of Frequency's and Run 1500 watts and talk to everything from Air Traffic Controllers to Heart Doctors to Janitors and Garbage men and Farmers like me!
73 and see you on the Bands!
KO4BG

v10rick

Site Supporter
At an FCC field office I sat for both the 2nd and 1st class radiotelephone tests and advanced class ham test, on the same day. The FCC examiner did not care one bit that I passed the commercial tests when taking the ham test.
Both fields have very different set of FCC regulations.
Hams are required to learn and abide by FCC rules Part 97. The technical part of licensing was to assure that you are competent enough to apply the rules to your station operation.

That was then, now if you have the mental capacity to memorize the published question/answer pool you are guaranteed to pass, without knowing much of anything.

Hardly seems fair to the more senior hams.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hardly seems fair to those newbies coming into a new area thinking they are prepared when in fact they are not. All this crap about making things easy and giving out trophy's to all participants is not fair the to any of the participants or anyone else. A damn shame.

ko4bg

Site Supporter
At an FCC field office I sat for both the 2nd and 1st class radiotelephone tests and advanced class ham test, on the same day. The FCC examiner did not care one bit that I passed the commercial tests when taking the ham test.
Both fields have very different set of FCC regulations.
Hams are required to learn and abide by FCC rules Part 97. The technical part of licensing was to assure that you are competent enough to apply the rules to your station operation.

That was then, now if you have the mental capacity to memorize the published question/answer pool you are guaranteed to pass, without knowing much of anything.

Your absolutely right! When I got mine you had to learn Morse Code, 5 words per min. solid Copy, for Novice, 13 WPM for General, the Advanced test was a Pain in the Butt for me but I passed it, then Extra many years ago! Now I think you can get them at Wall mart or Costco (not really but seems that way) and we have been over run with guys that think they Deserve it because they use to hold a Microphone! Listen on 40 mtrs all the rif raff with the Vulgar Language and I'm No Prude by any means! But that's the way it is Now Days!
Enough said by me on this, This is a Kubota Forum Not a I Wanna Be a Ham Forum!
Have a Great Day!! 73
Woody

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you, ”gentlemen”, for proving my point...

(and ko4bg, ... I suppose you will reciprocate and never discuss tractors on the PUBLIC airways.)

ko4bg

Site Supporter
Friend Thanks for the Complement, they have a Term for Know it All's on Ham Radio, BUT its NOT Worth the Time and Trouble, I have Better things to do with my time!
10-4 Good Buddy~~~I sorta thought you could understand that! See Ya Down the Log!

ccmdvl1960

I have CB's on my tractors, RTV and wife's electric golf cart. There's also a station in the house and in the shop. With cell phones, we don't use them as much as we used to, but they can be handy to use when working on a project on the property with multiple people and pieces of equipment running. I use Firestick antennas. On the RTV, I have the CB in an overhead console I built. The antenna is mounted on the front brush guard.

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpeg
    IMG_3040.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    10.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    8.7 MB · Views: 17

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
That's a nice console setup. I decided to install a base unit in the barn with a ground plane and bought a firestick and mounting kit. I have not installed it yet because I am having the mobile radio "serviced". Some of our farmer neighbors have them too. I think I will hold off on my amateur license for now. I am not sure it is the environment I thought it was. Maybe try again in a few years when I retire. Also found out the search and rescue teams here have radios that operate on county EMS frequencies so I won't need to provide my own anyway.

ko4bg

Site Supporter
Good luck on your exam. I would look over the General stuff too and give it a shot the same session as your Tech exam if you pass.

Dave- KB1PVH
Dave, Good Looking Pups on your QRZ page!! Ours could pass for Twins or Triplets to yours, Bo weighs in at 125# and is almost 6yrs old. 73 and Take Care!!
Woody "KO4ByGolly"