Coffee With a Side of Diesel

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I did purchase the smaller fluted stainless steel coffee filters that every the discussion groups are fawning about. I wasn't interested until I saw what a guy prevented from going into his tank. And then another and another. Then I looked in my diesel cans. Where does this crud come from? There is a huge filter right before the hose where I get fuel.

Anyway, dropped them comfortably into the BX and RTV. I will send along a pic if I pick up any crud. Meanwhile, soon as I empty these cans again, they are getting a good flush. Just did this a couple months ago.

v10rick

Site Supporter
My neighbor encountered crud in his fuel container, that clogged the fuel screen on his Kubota tractor.
A local shop said it's caused by the diesel bug.

Yea right I thought, until I found this...

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
I wonder if this occurs in the small 5 gallon yellow diesel cans, like this. I have 4 of them and constantly rotate them between my RTV and BX. I also include Stanadyne because I live in the Northeast.

v10rick

Site Supporter
I wonder if this occurs in the small 5 gallon yellow diesel cans, like this. I have 4 of them and constantly rotate them between my RTV and BX. I also include Stanadyne because I live in the Northeast
Apparently it does. My neighbor with this issue has the poly 5 gal fuel containers.
I store fuel in the same type container, but have not experienced the bug. We purchase fuel from a different source.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
The only time I have had algae issues is when there was water introduced into to diesel tank. That could be condensation in a fuel can.

ETF

Gunge in your diesel is one of those things that only needs to happen once and you never forget.

I store my diesel in drums and cans but never treated it when I brought it home until I got into the biggest darned mess that you have ever seen., These days it gets treated with biocide and stabilizer as soon as I offload it.

Look into your gas cans too. They get every bit as bad if not worse.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
My neighbor encountered crud in his fuel container, that clogged the fuel screen on his Kubota tractor.
A local shop said it's caused by the diesel bug.

Yea right I thought, until I found this...

That article is so full of B.S. which is misleading. I have a background involving fuel storage and fuel biocides, and while the bottom line of the article (cleanliness and biocidal treatments) are correct…the actual details of that article was written by an ignorant sales person.

Diesel, biodiesel, kerosene, and most other fuels have the capability of supporting fungus and spores that can develop into a problem for fuel systems.…but the way it happens is not as that article states.

The storage and vehicle fuel tanks heat up during the day and cool down at night and water from atmospheric humidity will condense and drain to the bottom of the tanks. The atmosphere contains spores of yeasts and funguses which will enter the tanks as fuel is consumed and live in the water at the bottom of the tanks….and “eat” the fuel for food…and excrete wastes which will form “mats” that resembles “sludge”…that filters are designed to capture. The mats also can contribute to corrosion and weakening of tanks.

The best method of countering this hazard is to avoid open venting of storage tanks (difficult or impossible in most cases), good filters and frequent inspections/replacements of filters, and use of a biocide.

The biocide I personally prefer is Biobor-JF, but there are others which are good. I prefer Biobor because it is approved for use in aircraft systems where cleanliness and reliability are paramount. Hope this helps.