cold starting issue

ytr1903

I have had my 2008 rtv900 since 2011 and it has been flawless------except for very cold weather starting. When the temperature hits about 15 degrees or below, the engine will crank over just fine but will not start. This has been happening since I bought the vehicle and just showed it ugly head again this morning. It is -1degree.
When the weather warms up it will start up just fine. It runs perfectly when it does start. I am guessing that the fuel shutoff solenoid is the culprit, but it is too cold right now to go out there. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks,
Tom

ytr1903

It sounds like you're not turning on the glow plug or it is not working. I assume that is a diesel?
Yes it is a diesel. The glow plugs seem to work fine up to the point of the ambient temperature reaching that 15 degree mark. Is it possible that the glow plug mechanism doesn't work because of a low temperature?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine has been the same way since it was new in 2004.
My solution was a block heater. I plug it in a couple hours before I expect to need the RTV. It then fires right up.
If you do consider installing a block heater, consider putting a second one on the tranny.

Westfield

Yes it is a diesel. The glow plugs seem to work fine up to the point of the ambient temperature reaching that 15 degree mark. Is it possible that the glow plug mechanism doesn't work because of a low temperature?

Did you try keeping the glow plugs on for a longer time let's say like 15 seconds. I am no expert on these machines by any means but I know how my X 1100 C starts in cold weather. I have to hold the glow plugs on for about 15 seconds then it will start.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I wonder what the fuel temperature is.... at below 15 diesel turns to jelly and doesn’t’ pump well unless it’s been treated.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I doubt its the solenoid if it starts ok during warmer weather. If it is though, it can be manually put in the proper place by accessing it from underneath and moving the little lever . It's talked about in several of the solenoid threads. When you shut off the engine with the key, if working correctly, you can hear a little tink noise about 5 seconds after the key is turned to the off position. Thats the stop solenoid moving into the off position. I would do as suggested and try cycling the glow plugs for a longer amount of time. Does the glow plug light on the panel light up when you have the key turned to the warm position ? You may wish to use a good fuel additive for diesels. There are several threads on here about them.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
At 15-degrees F my RTV requires TWO shots of GlowPlugs 20-seconds EACH SHOT...before it will start. I turn it to GP...and the indicator lights up...and listening carefully a “click” can be heard about 15-10 secs later ...(Glow plug relay relaxes) .... I release the key and again apply GP for 20 secs..... and she’ll fire up.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use any starting fluid or ether on a diesel ....unless it’s your intention to blow it up spectacularly.

Reactions: Doc

ytr1903

At 15-degrees F my RTV requires TWO shots of GlowPlugs 20-seconds EACH SHOT...before it will start. I turn it to GP...and the indicator lights up...and listening carefully a “click” can be heard about 15-10 secs later ...(Glow plug relay relaxes) .... I release the key and again apply GP for 20 secs..... and she’ll fire up.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use any starting fluid or ether on a diesel ....unless it’s your intention to blow it up spectacularly.
Sorry for the delay in responding to your replies, it has been so cold here that I would not even consider taking the Kubota for a ride. (Below zero)
I am going out today to try it out and will report back. It will be a little warmer today than the past 3-4 days.

ytr1903

Sorry for the delay in responding to your replies, it has been so cold here that I would not even consider taking the Kubota for a ride. (Below zero)
I am going out today to try it out and will report back. It will be a little warmer today than the past 3-4 days.
I went out to start the Kubota yesterday and double glow plugged it. Would not start.
This morning went back out to start it and again hit it with 2 shots of glow plugs, would not start. I got a heat gun out and directed it toward the fuel shutoff solenoid for about 20 seconds and bingo, it started right up. Immediately, took the vehicle into the pole barn and it will be parked there for the remainder of the winter instead of the lean to. Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I need a solenoid.

Tom

ytr1903

I think that the solenoid needs to be replaced. Since no one on the forum has ever complained about my situation, I have to guess that the vast majority of the solenoids operate correctly.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
what ever you do don't give it any foot peddle when cold starting. this advances the swash plate and puts a parasitic load on the engine. glow the plugs for about 30 seconds in extreme cold or a minute is ok also if it is real cold. then pull ut the hand throttle and leave your foot off the peddle. as soon as it starts back the key off until the starter disengages but the glow plug light stays on. leave the glow plugs lit until it smooths out. try that and let us know if it helps????

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I think that the solenoid needs to be replaced. Since no one on the forum has ever complained about my situation, I have to guess that the vast majority of the solenoids operate correctly.
Pull the rubber cover back and give it a shot of WD40 to work it into the mechanism. WD40 will free it up and also drive out any water that may be in it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This reminds me of an ancient post by hammerhead. He had a non Kubota that wouldn't do right and a little moisture had gotten there where his problem was and had froze up . And then a couple of days ago, I needed the old small skid steer so did get it started but the up and down lever would not move although the bucket would tilt. ice had gotten in the underside of the controls and froze it up. Ice can sure stop many things from moving.

Reactions: Doc

ko4bg

Site Supporter

I've Used Starting Fluid on Diesel Tractors for 35 years and Never had any Problems Just Don't Over Do it, SHORT Bursts into the Air Cleaner!! But I agree Try the Glo Plug~TWICE until you hear the Click.
Woody

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I've Used Starting Fluid on Diesel Tractors for 35 years and Never had any Problems Just Don't Over Do it, SHORT Bursts into the Air Cleaner!! But I agree Try the Glo Plug~TWICE until you hear the Click.
Woody
Page 11 of the RTV-X900 and RTV-X1120D Owner’s Manual:
Quote: “Important Do not use starting fluid or ether.”

Starting fluid/ether has a lower combustion temperature and pressure than diesel, which can cause premature ignition and detonation. This means that while the piston is still on its’ upward journey in a compression-stroke the starting fluid/ether can explode and blow the piston or head to pieces. If your diesel requires ether to start...it’s got low compression or some other issue and using starting fluid/ether is a time-bomb.
It’s your choice... but Kubota and I agree... NEVER use the stuff on a 2-stroke engine OR a diesel.

Last edited:

ko4bg

Site Supporter
Page 11 of the RTV-X900 and RTV-X1120D Owner’s Manual:
Quote: “Important Do not use starting fluid or ether.”

Starting fluid/ether has a lower combustion temperature and pressure than diesel, which can cause premature ignition and detonation. This means that while the piston is still on its’ upward journey in a compression-stroke the starting fluid/ether can explode and blow the piston or head to pieces. If your diesel requires ether to start...it’s got low compression or some other issue and using starting fluid/ether is a time-bomb.
It’s your choice... but Kubota and I agree... NEVER use the stuff on a 2-stroke engine OR a diesel.
Well as I said, I've used it for years because I had a weak pump and I just used the S/F only needed it in the Winter time, But Never Had any problems, I've been a Cattle Farmer a Long time (over 35 years) and used my Tractor a Lot in the Winter putting out Hay, I've seen Diesel Mechanics start tractors Totally on Either to Pick up the Fuel when someone ran them out. Sounded like beating the pistons with a Big Hammer BUT NEVER seen one Break! Of Course they Were NOT KUBOTA's! Either John Deere or Ford or International. I now have a L3301 Because I got OLD and Soft, and I wouldn't take a chance with it!