coolant tank gurgling

blue

I have a 2006 CK25 with 501 hours. Today I was using it to push trees around into my burn pile. While I was off the tractor and it was sitting at idle I noticed antifreeze dripping onto the ground. I popped the hood and saw the coolant recovery tank was gurgling and the antifreeze was coming out. I then saw the temperature indicator was showing hot. I stopped the engine to think about what might be causing this. I waited an hour and popped the radiator cap and could not see a level in the radiator. I may have lost this much during the gurgling. I restarted it and the gurgling started again. I stopped the engine and parked it. Could this be from a blown head gasket? Any other ideas?...Please have some. I don't want a blown head gasket!

urednecku

First, welcome to the forum!

2nd, I'm no mechanic, but head gasket would be my guess. Hopefully somebody else will stop by shortly with more experience.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
it could just be a leak in your coolant system. I hope it's not the head gasket. :eek:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Refill the radiator. Leave the cap off and look in there while it idles. If you see the coolant surging, that's exhaust gas leaking past the head gasket.

And if you have a compression release, use it until you get this figured out. If there is water in a cylinder, cranking the engine can break rings, bend a rod, etc.

Good luck with this!

rj's barn

gurgling

Last time I had a blown head gasket I ended up going to NAPA and picking up a "universal block tester". I was hoping I'd get lucky and not have to do what I ended up having to do. It's a blue fluid that turns green or yellow (cant remember which) in the presence of burned hydrocarbons. If you have any kind of crack in any part of the combustion chamber you'll know just as soon as you squeeze the bulb. Now, lets all keep our fingers crossed and hope your fluid stays blue.......