DK40se Saves Me Grief

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's been so dry here even big trees are wilting, Our ponds are drying up and ... it's just awful. We just lost 3 registered bulls because it is just so hot for so long, not even nights are cool- even the ground is hot without moisture. I think we have had about an inch of rain in over 2 months. Any way I decided I was going to clean out one of the ponds with the skid steer and dirt bucket . I went around the edge and was distracted and edged into the bad stuff. Yep, I was stuck on 1 side and couldn't dig out with the bucket- It just made it worse.My nephew and I tried the old tired JD4020 and no avail then added the 4x4 truck with my Sis -no luck , Then I looked to the Heavens and went for the Kioti. I had my doubts but it worked . Nephew Pulled me right out slow and steady In Low 1 4x4 as I worked the controls in the skid steer .These pictures don't seem to show the actual depth of the mud . It looks much more dramatic on location ...Thank Goodness that prayer was answered now.... Praying for rain, Bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF2472.JPG
    DSCF2472.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF2473.JPG
    DSCF2473.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 75

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Good job. That 4-wheel drive is nice to have in those situations, isn't it.

About 2-years ago my S-I-L did almost exactly the same thing. In her case, when the lake was down really low, she thought she'd go after 2 logs that were partially blocking the spillway. She got about 20 feet out on the stuff and the tractor broke through the hard crust and sank in the goop underneath. I had to bring my tractor over but with 2 tractors it still wasn't enough to move it. We had to call a neighbor to bring over his big tractor and with all three of us pulling we slowly, ever so slowly, pulled it out of there but it took a total of almost 200 hp to do it. Once that stuff gets a hold of you it doesn't want to let go. What a mess to clean up too.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Bczoom and EastTexasFrank,I am sure I had some help from Above. Yes that crust is real tricky. I got the left side over too far and felt it sliding in. I worked on the pond more today and no more parallel dirt work- just a little straight in and straight out About 7 hrs worth .It's amazing how much dirt I moved. But-- Slow and careful. . I'll be at another pond tomorrow morning trying to add a little capacity to it. Thanks again. Bordercollie