GoLight and 2-way radios

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't find the post but recently saw someone said there's an issue with the GoLight and 2-way radios.

Something about transmitting from a 2-way radio screws up the electronics in the GoLight

Can you elaborate?

What kind of 2-way radio?
Wny particular channels/frequencies?
Does the GoLight interpret a radio transmission as the "power on" from the wireless?
How close does the radio need to be to mess up the GoLight?

Thanks

muffler man

Brian- I read it to. I was wondering how you like your go light? What kind of mount did you get? Can the light be easily removed for low clearences? I have a plastic roof and low garage clearence and was needing to be able to remove it without too much trouble.</P>

</P>

Bill</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Honestly Bill, I haven't had a chance to use it much yet. Maybe 30-45 minutes total.

It's very bright, that's for sure. The wireless is nice as well.

There is a version with a magnetic base. Prior to getting the GoLight, I had a magnetic mount strobe light on the roof. I put a piece of steel (about 6"x8") on my plastic roof and just stuck the strobe to it with the wiring going out the back of the roof. When I was going to pull into the garage attached to the house (that has a shorter door), I'd just reach up there, pull the light off and stick it to the rear cage. The GoLight is heavier but if the magnet is good, I'd think it would stick to the cage.

I think TWO GUNS and ajdillon mounted theirs towards the front of the roof where it's a little lower but I still think it would stick up too high to fit in a regular height garage door.

Brian

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Brian,</P>

I know that local law enforecement raidos, State Police, City Police, Fire, Emergency Respone, and Amulance radios DO NOT interfer with the lights. For I tested them when they were in my shop for marking. I was told about the 2-way radio thing from Code 3 when I discussed something about the installing with them... It's not that many two ways around as much as they were years ago, for companies use the cell phone services ...</P>

Usally, when I get a company radio equipped vehicle for marking, gas company , cable, satellite, utility & oilfield companies, I'll turn on the GoLight on the RTV that stays close in the shop, and test it, just to find out if " THAT " company radio will do anything to the light. I have not found one that done it yet >>>> </P>

Now, I have been to the big RV park down on the Riverwalks on the Mississippi River, many times, and many of the real big RV's will have some GoLights installed. If you use your remote, you can turn on and run other GoLights, I've done that before, ( by accident ) but, as you know, you can easily reprogram the light to a different frequency that was is set from the factory >>>>></P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>>>> Two Guns >>></FONT></FONT></DIV>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Going to run to my dealer this morning, when I return, will measure the GoLight height on the 900 and post. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="TWO GUNS"]It's not that many two ways around as much as they were years ago, for companies use the cell phone services ...[/quote]
Which kind of 2-way radios are we talking about?

I have some handheld CB's and FRS radios. Will they do anything to the GoLight?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's a motorized light that a few of us have put on our RTV's. Very bright. Has a control panel for operation (power, turn, tilt...) that goes in the cab. It also has a wireless remote to operate.

Here's the web page with the info
http://www.golight.com/products/stryker.html

Here's one sitting on top of my RTV.

BULLDOG

I had placed a post under New Warn Winch on this topic, I would link you to it but I have not figured out how to do that yet. </P>

I have 2 way radio's on all of my equipment and Go Lights on three of them, when we would key up the two way radio it would spin the Go Light until it hit its stopping point and would burn out the spinning motor. The light would still go up and down and turn on and off but would no longer turn left or right.</P>

I have a few different brand radio's, all of them are programmed to 159.*** vhf frequency. I had the Go Light and the antenna about a foot and a half apart which possibly could have been to close. I wentthrough three Go Lights before realizing the problem. I now have all my Go Lights hooked up to toggle switches and leave them off at all times unless I am using the light. But remember, Do Not key up your radio while the toggle switch is on because If you forget to switch the Go Light off just one time and key up your radio you risk burning it out that quick.</P>

I hope this helps</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Bulldog. Your post is what got me thinking.

I don't think my radios are at 157 MHz so I should be OK.

What kind of 2-way radios do you have/use that run at that frequency?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="bczoom"][quote user="TWO GUNS"]It's not that many two ways around as much as they were years ago, for companies use the cell phone services ...[/quote]
Which kind of 2-way radios are we talking about?

I have some handheld CB's and FRS radios. Will they do anything to the GoLight?
[/quote]</P>

Never tried the CB radio, some otherswhere walkie-talkie types that was test fired from theS.W.A.T. >>>>> They never bothered the GoLight either. The RTV was aprox 20-30 FEET away during the testing of the radio/ light situations ..... Also tried the personal two way radios we use for hunting , And they never bothered any..... The ones burn up maybe was to close...... </P>

These were all Motorola brand radios >>>></P>

ajdillon

Brian's right, I have mine mounted up front on a bracket I had fabricated (see picture). I have no problems with the garage door, but then I have nine foot doors! It's a great tool, specially for bustin' hogs at night down here in Texas. We sit up in the high rack with the remote and just have a ball.</P>

Andrew</P>

</P>

BULLDOG

We use Motorola, Tekk, Kenwood and most recently Icom. The Icomseems to be agood radioand we will be changing all our radios over to them in time. All the mobile radios that we are use are between 40 and 50 watts, bases 100w and portables 5w.