Got my RTV-XG850 Today!

FTG-05

Here be pics.

As it came from the factory; this lasted from the dealer's parking lot, to my trailer, then into my shop, that's it.

pQMWi8n.jpg

bY5S6Fk.jpg

Old vs. new; about the only thing in common is the camo:

u7SPkrS.jpg

A couple hours later (and $50), I had my old ITP Blackwater Evolutions back on it:

mTKAlnx.jpg

So right now, I'm three shits to the wind, so a detailed writeup and test ride evaluation and report will have to wait until tomorrow. However, what I will do is leave you with the TL;DR condensed version:

Hory Forking Shirt!!!!!!1

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very Nice. Looks like a work horse. Even has the half doors like the Polaris's do. I thought them a waste until i drove one. Very handy. Enjoy!!!!

ItBmine

Lets us know how you like it and how it is for power. I considered one, just to have the higher speed for riding with my friends, but I decided to go with the X1100C just to have the cab and AC and hydraulics. Now I just had to keep my junky Polaris's to use a couple times a year for the faster rides. Then I can tow them home with the Kubota, LOL

FTG-05

Ok here are some first impressions:

Twitchy throttle: Holy Cow! I expected it and I was still surprised by it. Waaaaaaay too sensitive. Worse, the gas pedal is at a weird location and/or weird angle, I haven't decided which. After only a couple minutes of riding it, my right foot and ankle were getting cramped from holding it just right to maintain control of it. The only time it didn't cramp was while driving at speed down a paved road when I had the pedal smashed to the floor.

It's impossible to go fast in a RTV-900; it's not impossible to go slow in the -XG850, but it is difficult. The dang thing just wants to get up and go!

My RTV-900 was slightly better at going up steep hills, although it was painfully slow. The -XG850 had slightly more difficulty, but only because of lack of traction or perhaps too much power to the rear wheels causing them spin out or perhaps the weight difference (the -900 being about 200 lbs heavier). Lack of power is not the problem. With traction, it not only goes up steep hills with authority, it does so with enthusiasm. No more of the -900 propensity for the painfully slow "willImakeit?willImakeit?willImakeit?willImakeit?willImakeit? - Yea I made it!" crap.

Kubota no longer Line-Xs their RTVs. According to the dealer, Line-X can't get some material so they are way behind. I e-mailed Line-X several weeks ago about doing my XG850, never heard back from them.

Speed: Has it in spades, especially in contrast to the -900. It's still slow vs the true sports UTVs like a RZR, but for my purposes, it's plenty fast enough. It's just the opposite of the -900.

I haven't towed or hauled anything yet, so I can't comment on that yet, but I foresee no problems, the -XG has plenty of power.

My -XG came with a number of plugs available for power; for extra lights for example. The problem is that they all appear to be Kubota-specific. Anyone know where I can buy plugs to fit them - other than Kubota?

The rear tail gate rattle is just as annoying in the -XG as it is in the -900. A couple pieces of 3/8" old air hose installed on the tailgate latches fixed a lot of this. My thanks to someone here for that suggestion.

The throttle is the only real complaint. To me, this is clearly a safety issue. No telling how many people have had accidents or hurt themselves because of that throttle. Kubota has years to fix it and they've done nothing. It's inexcusable IMO. NTT should step up and provide a decent DIYer and effective fix for this.

Last edited:

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
A picture of your connectors would help but if the electrical connector you're referring to is like this, it is a bullet connector.

I did not want to cut and splice a perfectly good plug on the RTV so I purchased these so everything is plug and play. All the Kubota brand accessories I have are wired with these connectors but they are several years old. Any non-Kubota accessories are just a stub wire so these connectors are handy.
Hope it helps.

FTG-05

A picture of your connectors would help but if the electrical connector you're referring to is like this, it is a bullet connector.

I did not want to cut and splice a perfectly good plug on the RTV so I purchased these so everything is plug and play. All the Kubota brand accessories I have are wired with these connectors but they are several years old. Any non-Kubota accessories are just a stub wire so these connectors are handy.
Hope it helps.
I agree: I have no desire to cut into a perfectly good wiring harness - especially when there is a perfectly good connector right there.

Here's a pic to give people an idea of the number of connectors in the engine compartment. Everywhere there is blue tape, there is a fused outlet of some kind (most are the bullet type):

Ca9zdTW.jpg

There's a twofold problem here though: Finding one that's powered by the light switch (for LED lights, duh!) and finding the correct compatible plug.

Here's a good example of this issue:

3p0NAtb.jpg

The two bottom contacts of the square connector and the male bullet connector are grounds. The upper right and female bullet connector are Hot with Key On. The upper left is Hot with Lights On (i.e. the one I need for my LED lights on the front). Where do I find the corresponding plug for the square connector - without of course, buying the $200 - each - Kubota lights?

Another example:

hiE9VCN.jpg

Roll bar lights, both front and rear ward facing. Other than the $200 - each - Kubota lights, where do you find compatible connectors?

Thanks,

Last edited: