Here's a "Talk About Anything" - II

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wow Hunter ! Those calves were very blessed not to be where they are, in the picture, when it was hit. Those critters just love to be either under trees or next to the fence when a storm comes.
I think it was last Fall when lightening hit the electric fence here out back of the house . About 20 ft of it just disappeared. The ends of the HT wire looked like they had been melted with a torch. Definitely a time to be in the house and away from water pipes and electric stuff.

Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Check your fire extinguishers, especially those outside the home (like barns & shops)

So, I was cleaning up in one of my out buildings.
Needed to move some fire extinguishers so I could sweep underneath. I looked in the extinguishers ejector tubes of each and of the 7-8 extinguishers in that area, 3 of them were completely clogged from nests made by mud daubers. Not sure if they would work with that much mud packed in the tube. Cleaned them out good but it would have sucked if needed the extinguisher and you pulled the the handle nothing happened.

PS. Something like 40 million fire extinguishers have been recalled. If you have Kidde fire extinguishers that are more than a couple years old, they've probably been recalled. If you haven't already done so, go to their site and order the free replacement.

Here's another recall on First Alert extinguishers.
First Alert model FE1A10G with serial numbers beginning with: RH, RK, RL, RP, RT, RU, or RW are included in this recall.

On this page is a list of other brands that have been recalled (e.g. Sears, Montgomery Ward...).

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't own a single fire extinguisher.
Oh my. You should consider getting a few. All they need to do is save you or your property once and you'll definitely appreciate having them.
I'm guessing I have around 40 of them. Pretty sure I have:
At least 1 in every room of the house.
1 in every vehicle (including the RTV)
Probably 15-20+ in my shop areas.
Now, before y'all think I'm crazy or paranoid, for the record I probably only bought 10 of them over the years. Others have come from cleaning out garages and at least 15 of them came from the aforementioned recalls. When they send you a new one due to recall, they "request" you send the old one back. I called them and they said I could just keep the old ones.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
Yikes!!!! You guys are freaking me out! Why would you keep a recalled extinguisher, when you have perfectly good replacements? It seems like you have way too many, 40 seems a bit much. Obviously I don't need 40 of 'em (or do I?) So how many do I need, and which type should I get? Also do you have any recommendations, since Kidde and First Alert is (Home Depot) garbage.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yikes!!!! You guys are freaking me out! Why would you keep a recalled extinguisher, when you have perfectly good replacements?
Because almost all of the recalled ones still work fine. They recalled something like 39 million units made from 1973 to 2017. According to the CPSC, here's the damage report highlight of why the units were recalled:
Incidents/Injuries:
The firm is aware of a 2014 death involving a car fire following a crash. Emergency responders could not get the recalled Kidde fire extinguishers to work. There have been approximately 391 reports of failed or limited activation or nozzle detachment, including the fatality, approximately 16 injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns, and approximately 91 reports of property damage.

So, approximately one in 100,000 units failed.

Why did I keep them? I'll take my odds that there's a 99.999% chance of it working. Since they sent me replacements, I can now have 2 units in every location where I used to have one. I've also given some to the school, Boy Scouts and local fire department for training purposes.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Obviously I don't need 40 of 'em (or do I?) So how many do I need, and which type should I get? Also do you have any recommendations, since Kidde and First Alert is (Home Depot) garbage.

Don't discount the Kidde or First Alert as garbage. Any new unit should be fine as they've corrected the issue(s).

As for how many you need and which type to get (assuming this is for residential use):
For type, do an internet search for "fire extinguisher types" but in general, I recommend type ABC since that covers most of what you encounter at home.

As for how many to get, that's kind of up to you based on your home and level of comfort. Things to consider:
- What's your heating source? If you use wood, coal or other source that produces open flames, you may want to have at least one near each source in case something goes wrong (e.g. an ember popping out into the room and starts smoldering or actually catches fire).
- Egress out of your home in the event there is a fire. Can you easily escape from every area of your home if there's a fire? If a room only has one exit door (no easily escape from windows), you may want one in that room in the event you have to fight your way out. Jumping out of a 2nd or 3rd story window may not be your best/safest way out.
- Do you have youngsters, seniors or others that may need help? If there's a fire in the house, you may need to get to them to get them out of the house. This may entail fighting through fire to get to them.
- Do you do things outdoors or in buildings that could generate a fire? This includes anything from burning brush to doing things that could generate sparks/fire (grinding, welding, torches...).

You need to just walk around your place, identify fire risk situations and locations then decide for yourself what the appropriate protection level you need and/or are comfortable with.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
Don't discount the Kidde or First Alert as garbage. Any new unit should be fine as they've corrected the issue(s).

As for how many you need and which type to get (assuming this is for residential use):
For type, do an internet search for "fire extinguisher types" but in general, I recommend type ABC since that covers most of what you encounter at home.

As for how many to get, that's kind of up to you based on your home and level of comfort. Things to consider:
- What's your heating source? If you use wood, coal or other source that produces open flames, you may want to have at least one near each source in case something goes wrong (e.g. an ember popping out into the room and starts smoldering or actually catches fire).
- Egress out of your home in the event there is a fire. Can you easily escape from every area of your home if there's a fire? If a room only has one exit door (no easily escape from windows), you may want one in that room in the event you have to fight your way out. Jumping out of a 2nd or 3rd story window may not be your best/safest way out.
- Do you have youngsters, seniors or others that may need help? If there's a fire in the house, you may need to get to them to get them out of the house. This may entail fighting through fire to get to them.
- Do you do things outdoors or in buildings that could generate a fire? This includes anything from burning brush to doing things that could generate sparks/fire (grinding, welding, torches...).

You need to just walk around your place, identify fire risk situations and locations then decide for yourself what the appropriate protection level you need and/or are comfortable with.
Thank you for the tips, I think this is one of those things you wish you had, exactly at the moment that you need it, otherwise you don't think too much about it. So now that I am thinking about it, I realize that, yes in fact, I do need a few of these things.

I have a wood stove in my large detached garage /storage building. I also have an outdoor firepit. As well as elderly parents in the upstairs apartment. Probably should have one for all the fuel I keep. Diesel, gas, propane, and charcoal. 3 vehicles, RTV, tractor, snow blower, leaf-vac, motorcycles, golf cart.

Wow now that I'm pointing all these things out. I'm an accident waiting to happen, I'm just lucky nothing ever happened. (fingers crossed)

I think I will start with at least 4 right now. 1 for the garage, 1 upstairs apartment, 1 downstairs apartment, and 1 in my out building. And you say it should be OK to get them from Home Depot?

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
Home Depot has 2 different ones. A red one, and a white one. Both are available in 2 sizes. I assume these are messy once you "pull the trigger"? But I guess a mess is better to clean up rather than, just sweeping ash after everything has burnt.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, you can get them at any box store, Amazon... They range from about $20 to $100 each. For the most part, I go for the cheaper ones as I would rather have 5 at $20 as opposed to 1 at $100.

Think about having one for your kitchen. Grease fires and such.

As for red vs white, check the label. You want to make sure they're type A, B & C. I "think" the white ones are B & C only (not good for wood/paper).

Yes, they'll make a mess (but not nearly as much as a fire does). Most of the dry powder ones contain sodium bicarbonate which is basically baking soda.

Premature for your situation but posting this for anyone else reading this post - It's a good idea to shake your dry-powder extinguishers every once in awhile (at least annually). Since it is a powder, shaking it will keep it light and fluffy inside the canister and not settled into a cake at the bottom.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a wood stove in my large detached garage /storage building. I also have an outdoor firepit.
For the wood stove, you may want to look at another fire suppression tool. Do an internet search for "chimney fire extinguisher". I believe mine are made by Chimfex. If your wood stove gets too hot or a chimney fire seems to have started, you light this thing (sort of like a road flare), toss it in your wood stove and close the door. It suffocates the oxygen and stops the fire.

For fire pits or starting brush fires, I just keep one or two extinguishers close by.

Never had to put out a fire from a snowblower :) but do keep extinguishers on my tractor and RTV. I only carry them on the ATV when I'm driving it to where there is a fire or about to be one from me starting a bonfire or whatever.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
You make some very good points bczoom. Yes I'll search for chimney fire extinguisher, it won't be used again till winter, so I have some time. In the meantime, I'll buy some multipacks and make sure they are good for the ABC fires. And next time I'll buy a couple for the tractor and RTV. BTW do you have these mounted or are they just rolling around under the seat?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have them mounted to the tractor and RTV. On the tractor, it's strapped to the ROPS. On the RTV, it's mounted to the back cage in the center (inside the cab).

CIMG4941.JPG

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
Hmmm, I have the X1100, I'm gonna have to look around for some mounting options. And yes the ROPS is a great place to mount to the tractor. In both cases it should be secured very well so it doesn't shake loose.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK everyone. Help me figure this one out.
I've had an Onan 30EK generator sitting around waiting for repair. It has a Ford straight 6, 300CID (4.9L) industrial engine in it.
Got the engine running pretty easily. Changed all fluids, filters and replaced fuel pump as well as all electrical (plugs, points, coil...). It now purrs like a kitten.
Bad news is a previous owner rewired it from 208V 3-phase to 110/220V single phase and didn't do it right. I didn't catch it until after I fired it up and the generator head started smoking. I'm going to do a little more diagnostics on the generator itself but I'm pretty sure it's fried and not worth rebuilding.
So, I have this nice 6-cylinder Ford engine. These engines are pretty much bulletproof and last a long, long time. This one has been sitting for years (at least the last 13 that I know of) so it's a relatively low hour unit.

Looking for ideas on what should I do with it (the engine)? A couple I'm thinking of right now.
Sell it.
Find an old Ford F-150 or similar and pop it in there and have a beater truck. If smaller vehicle, could I make something to replace my RTV (maybe an old 1970's Bronco or similar)
Tranny's and gearing aren't my skill set but could it be connected to a PTO generator (engine running at 1800RPM but get it down to 540RPM for genset)?

Ideas?

ItBmine

I got two ideas for you bczoom. First off, not sure how that particular engine would be tuned.....if it has a different camshaft or anything from the truck versions that would make it not good in a truck? But the Ford 300 six was one of the most reliable engines ever.

Here's what I would do first. Do a Funk style conversion and put it in a Ford 8N,9N,etc tractor! I have seen them with 300 sixes and even 5.0 litres. There are some you tube videos. That would be a fun toy.

Second, you say something about an off roader to replace your RTV? I recently read that the old Ford Bronco II's make awesome off roaders. Apparently they have 50/50 weight distribution, but then again I don't think you could fit a straight six in one. But it would work in an older full size Bronco like you say.

I would just look into how it's tuned and what it has for a power curve.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On the fire extinguishers. We have one on the bil's track hoe . Well, about 3 weeks ago the operator had a hydraulic hose bust and squirted fluid all over that hot engine. it caught on fire... He remembered seeing the FE and was able to put the fire out. By the way. , that Cat special hose was only 4 ft long, large diameter- but not available anywhere but Cat due to a crazy long fitting on one end-- (looked like an L) ... cost $750.00 !!
On the generator Zoom. My bil bought a propane whole house Kohler about 4 years ago and it was evidently struck by lightening during that last April storm that came with a mini tornado. We were in the tornado room ,hearing all of the creaky noises associated with the wind and thunder then the power went off . The generator came on right away and we all said " So glad we have the generator heard a boom and off it went. There we sat in the dark while I found a flashlight. ( never put all of your eggs in the same basket is a good saying ) The computer board just got here a few weeks ago and cost 4 grand with labor so I know what you are saying about prohibitive- still we are having some surges when it runs . not all the time but some. Can't trust it... very aggravating.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No he didn't. He has a 5,000 deductible . Insurance is so high here on this all wood house that he didn't even file when lightening took out most of the electrical stuff about 10 + years ago. Back then, it burned out everything but the oven. That was 3 Trane a/c units, security system, phones, DTV receivers and more. His agent said the company would likely raise the rates, so he absorbed that one too.