Here's a "Talk About Anything" - II

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations !!! That's going to be great when the snow comes in I bet. We go nuts here with 3 " hahaha. At least your windshield stayed intact :) and I agree with the wind drag killing mileage .

ItBmine

Thanks again. Yes, will be nice to be warm and dry. Been loving my Kubota tractor, but for it I did not want a cab. And it never bothered me except for when there were high winds and approaching minus 40.

I also had the F550 but never used it. The visibility sucked and I always preferred the maneuverability of the tractor. So I sold it and bought the RTV because the heaviest thing I tow now is my 55 Allis Chalmers CA. So I didn't need to keep paying commercial insurance on that 550.

Attachments

• 005 (2).jpg
    005 (2).jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 5

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Speaking of record cold and snow:

While still in the Air Force and living in Hawaii, I had to decide whether to stay there or not when my hitch was up. I had a purdy girlfriend and an old Cutlass convertible and a nice place off base. Due to my seniority, I had no more mid-watches. I was working weekdays 8-5 and spent my weekends camping or hanging out on the beach. Sometimes island hopping. I already had a civilian employer licking their chops to hire me to stay and work in Honolulu.

But I missed the changing seasons. I also missed my aging parents and our great neighbors - the farmers who employed my Brothers and I over the summers.

So I made the move back to Ohio in '85 and met the finest woman a bum like me could ask for. Together we raised four of the best kids anywhere. Seriously, not a bum in the lot. All productive, taxpayin citizens with college degrees.

But to finally get to the point, I have been blessed with many cold and snowy winters since then. I hope this winter is no exception - After all, I moved back to Ohio for the beautiful weather.

ItBmine

I don't mind winters either. Only part I don't like is the ridiculous amount of salt and de-icing chemicals they pour on the highways up up here that destroy your vehicles.
It's got to the point now they don't barely plow, they just pour the salt on several inches of snow and make thick slush that you hydroplane all over in.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
I don't mind winters either. Only part I don't like is the ridiculous amount of salt and de-icing chemicals they pour on the highways up up here that destroy your vehicles.
It's got to the point now they don't barely plow, they just pour the salt on several inches of snow and make thick slush that you hydroplane all over in.
That sounds like lots of fun.....if you weren't driving your car in it.

I save as many personal and sick days as possible for winter. Then I just call out when the roads are bad, no salt and chemicals on my truck.

My theory is, if I don't want to go out in foul weather, then my customers don't want to go out either. Plus when they cancel school for the day, mom's don't want to pack all the kids in the car and drive all over town.

ItBmine

Wash Day. Cleaned up my old Polaris after a four day 500 mile ride. Then went trail riding today with the RTV and washed it up when I got back and put the plow back on.

Attachments

• 101_5564.JPG
    101_5564.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 101_5568.JPG
    101_5568.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 101_5562.JPG
    101_5562.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 10

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ItBmine your trails look to be in great shape compared to mine. The RTV makes tracks and the water follows those tracks down the hills so I end up with ruts. Some of them get pretty big. I put in road bumps to deflect the water so it doesn't pick up a lot of speed and that helps but mother nature always wins in the end.

ItBmine

That's what I do too Doc on the one big sandy hill. I put in little speed bumps and it seems to help.
Started to do some ditching and crown them with the box blade tilted but never have the time to finish them properly.

The parts I used good 7/8 crushed gravel on seem to hold up well.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I'll second that. A very well maintained property! I only have 13 acres but I could spend a lifetime clearing dead trees, fixing slips, maintaining trails. We spent 8 hours one day and 7 hours the next just clearing trails and mowing. The Ash trees are falling daily and the trees are usually too heavy for my old back to sling them aside like I once could. So there's a little sawin involved. But you should know the people who appreciate a nice place like that because we know the labor it takes to keep it up, even with the right tools.

One bright spot, we found three very large persimmon trees in the woods and this winter, will start clearing around them so they don't have to compete for light and nutrients. My Grandma said Persimmons are a gift from God for people and for critters. I can still remember her persimmon jam smeared on a piece of fresh baked bread. Seems like just about when you realize how lucky you are to have them, they are gone.