Here's a "Talk About Anything" - II

Oldpath

Good advice is priceless.......
DSSgUzwm.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I owned a 1975 CJ7. Had a blast going off road with it. Blew a valve in it. Engine was caput.
Bought a used 2000 wrangler. Loved taking the top off of it but did not take it on the trails once. One of the worst vehicles I owned for dependability. And the frame rusted from winter road salt.

I had an ATV for the trails and it did a fine job.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i drove a 1970's era land rover for 30 plus years every day. not to say that it didn't break down but i was always able do drive it. a tornado blew it over and around and left it in a pile of trees once. the next morning i rolled it back up on all fours put oil in it and drove it off.

Oldpath

The biggest problem I see with rusty Jeeps is the CJ's and Wranglers have a box frame, road salt and dirt gets in then rust starts.
Friend at work bought a new 85 CJ, in ten years the motor and body was falling apart, the way he fix it was buy a new 97 Cherokee, so far he has around 20k mi on it, 5 years ago had a 8k rust fix job done and on his 4th set of weather cracked tires.........

Oldpath

The problem with ATV's around here, to get from point A to point B require road travel, that becomes a problem when they are not allowed on roads, I think I can drive a tractor on a road legally and further then ATV. With Jeeps just scoot down the road to a Jeep trail and good to go, after you let air out.........

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I currently own a Toyota 4Runner. Very 'Jeep' like in the 4WD dept. More comfortable and carries more stuff. Runs like a top, very dependable. Great in snow and from what I've seen they can keep up with a Jeep on trails. I have not tried this myself, but others have and have shared pics I doubt I ever own a Jeep again.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We sold our commercial calves yesterday. Even though we had an all night rain the night before, the big truck did fine . The high price of beef is going in the packers pockets I guess because it sure isn't ours. Nice , fat heifers and steers avg 1.39 and 650 -750 lbs. We will grow out our registered bulls as seed stock and sell them at 1 1/2 years and use some of our registered heifers as replacements for old cows.

Attachments

• KIMG0388  calf truck.JPG
    KIMG0388 calf truck.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. Congrats. :clap: :clap: :clap: Way to go!!!!!!

Edit to add: I miss read the part that higher prices do not mean more dollars in your pocket. :( Sorry to hear that Collie.

Last edited:

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Outstanding Collie. Our supplier raised the price for 1/2 side to 2.50 a lb from 2.00. These are grain fed animals so I am not sure if this is inline with the rest of the country. He stated the increase was due to feed price increases. We are in Ohio.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank ya'll, :) Our price was on the hoof so not sure how that all comes out compared to dressing out one. These will go to a feed yard in a different state , be feed for a term then sold as prime Angus. Feed has really .,really went up. One load of DDG/ Hominy we bought in the spring was a record $ but you have to have it to grow nice looking cattle.
During that terrible,horrible , awful etc ice storm we had , we almost ran out of feed and actually had to ration it to stretch it out. The week before, the commodity broker said the trucks were tied up The next week, , the week long storm hit with roads impassable for the entire week!. It was less than 10 degrees here and I was able to crawl across a pond to help save a calf that had slipped down on it and her body heat had melted it enough to have her fall through. She survived though and yet another miracle during a bad time..

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. Way to go saving that calf. :clap:
So, do you have any heads left to tend to besides the bulls you mentioned? If not, what will you do with all your time?