Here's a "Talk About Anything" - II

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've been searching for a long time ............................. and the Lord put this one in my lap. 2020 U35 cab,with thumb, 428 hrs 4 way blade. 9 months of warranty left and in excellent condition with dealer 500 hr service done in the deal. $44,000 plus farm tax of $660. So grateful to Him for this much needed machine at a reasonable price and in mint shape.

Attachments

• KIMG0497(1) u35 2.jpeg
    KIMG0497(1) u35 2.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 11
  • KIMG0500  U35 #1.jpeg
    KIMG0500 U35 #1.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 11

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
Yeah, that's a cool machine! I see a large in-ground swimming pool in your future!! Or perhaps a pond. Are you in the excavating business? Do you have any other cool machines?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Now that's truly funny Alaskan :) but could be true !!! I hope not though. I have heard that lots of farmers do that to keep down buzzards and coyotes. (good idea) We did use the big and old Cat 332 trackhoe to bury our old horse. He was a relic in his mid 30's .

Bota Fett , Doc and Alaskan, Thank you all . :)
My bil has a Cat 332 trackhoe that he bought well used to clear some washouts and massive erosion damage. We have an ancient 1840 open cab Case skid steer that will do anything and is a tough little bugger. It will turn on a dime. We did have a Cat 262 B skid steer but it was sold this year and he bough a Cat 262 again but I think it's a D . Has back up camera etc. nice and cool in there. :) We have an assortment of JD tractors (3 with cabs) and use those with our feed wagons to feed the herds with. 2 others are in his collection as souvenirs of his younger years (4020s bought new in his younger years. ( One is restored and one is in progress) . I have a Kioti dk 40 little tractor for spraying pastures and gardening along with my Roxor that I use to work on the place ( no recreational use) and now this little U35. As the old saying goes "you can't take it $ with you". I bought this little air conditioned excavator with adjustable blade to make my life easier- Seems like I'm getting old ? Back trouble and creaking knees egged me on to get this. Keeping the weight down to 110 helps but now , not much else to do but carry on or give up. :) So here I go on.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I meant to post some pictures of the encapsulation we had done under the house. First though, when my bil restored the house, he had black plastic put down underneath and covered it with pea gravel . Insulation was under the flooring and ductwork was wrapped with duct insulation.. Outside panels were sealed with Styrofoam to keep out cold air. About 4 panels were left without the foam for air movement . After years, , it became a haven for creatures of all types that managed to dig under the panels, and held moisture from the ductwork as it condensed. Even though we had the T******x termite people inspect the house yearly , I noticed some mud tunnels on the piers when I went under to check the phoneline. They didn't inspect very well. ... They were all up there under one room in the 170 year old beams /joists and enjoying themselves under that insulation.
Then I got a job last summer removing the insulation wearing a tyvex suit , eye and respiration protection. It was hot but got it done with a nice bonus too.
Then my bil hires a company to do this . Very nice and clean under there . Eliminated moisture and since they installed dehumidifiers also, it is good and dry with no mold. The ductwork was sprayed with insulation before the other people started . Foam is so heavy duty on the ductwork that it won't flex. KIMG0519 encapsulation.jpegKIMG0515 encap.jpegencapsuelation.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doc. :) Underneath the white liner are rigid plastic panels with raised dimples. The seams of the white liner material are sealed with a special tape and anywhere light was seen is sealed with spray foam. The white stuff is much like a pool liner ,I believe. The possums are really disappointed though that they can't get in there. Before they managed to dig under the outside panels and actually had a cool place on top of the ductwork in the summer and warm in the winter. I caught them on a deer cam I put under there (as well as some rats ) . Guilty of mushing down some of the ductwork and chewing on some joists. None of that now.
We also dug a trench along the outside panels and attached the plastic wood to the supports. Now it is secure . :)

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doc. :) Underneath the white liner are rigid plastic panels with raised dimples. The seams of the white liner material are sealed with a special tape and anywhere light was seen is sealed with spray foam. The white stuff is much like a pool liner ,I believe. The possums are really disappointed though that they can't get in there. Before they managed to dig under the outside panels and actually had a cool place on top of the ductwork in the summer and warm in the winter. I caught them on a deer cam I put under there (as well as some rats ) . Guilty of mushing down some of the ductwork and chewing on some joists. None of that now.
We also dug a trench along the outside panels and attached the plastic wood to the supports. Now it is secure . :)
Very impressive. I'm sure the possums are disappointed. LOL They'll find some other place to pick on. LOL

ItBmine

Very nice excavator Collie. That looks like a great deal to me. Just don't forget, when you service don't forget the final drive oil. (the big drive sprocket motors on your tracks.) They only hold a pint or so each but many people neglect them and that will cost $2500 to 4 grand each.

I've never seen a crawl space sealed like that before. But I bet it does make a big difference. Kind of like a trick I learned when pouring a garage slab.......put vapor barrier plastic and rigid insulation under it, and it makes it so much dryer and warmer in the winter.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank ya'll Doc and ItBmine. :) Lot's of critters are very disappointed. Ladybugs get in there so still a few cracks to fill around the panels - my next chore when I get some new knee pads. Sister had an old robot vacuum with a frozen wheel so I ordered one and replaced it. It works really good under there. When I go to retrieve it, I drag a towel to sit it on and just pull it out to recharge.
I bet that does make a big difference in the sweating of the slab ItBmine. This house was built in 1842 and is 4 ft off the ground so it took the 2 dehumidifiers a while to dry out the underneath of the house . Now it's almost the same temp as inside the house without any air being put there- just from the a/c units boxes being under there- except for the outside motors. The insulated ductwork doesn't sweat nor feel any temperature difference. Right this minute it's 74 degrees under there with a rh of 46% according to a sensor . Outside its 84. The best part is we can check for those darn "terror "mites and haha, no possums.
I made sure that the service they did included the final drive and will make sure that I do that on a schedule. I used it yesterday and just need to get used to the joysticks not being for forward/reverse movement like on the Cat skid steer. I would like a protection screen of expanded metal for that front glass because almost wacked it yesterday as I moved some large limbs and one was toward the cab. Will just have to be alert and pick up things carefully. Big yellow th has been broken 2x but not by me thankfully because I don't use it . Old skid steer had a poly windshield but this new one has glass. I do love that a/c when it's summer here in the south. Thank ya'll ! collie

ItBmine

The screen is hard to stare through all day, but I like it better than the poly windows. They tend to scratch and yellow after time.
Here's the view through the one I run.

Attachments

• 20210808_132939.jpg
    20210808_132939.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Kinda funny. Collie gets an excavator, and the same week I put mine up for sale.
All is good with it but I found another toy I think I'll get more use out of. All for fun. I've done most of what I wanted with the excavator, and I know there will be more things come up that I could use it for but, in the mean time I hate to have it sitting. So my Kubota KX033-4 is up for sale (2017 w/585 hours). Got a guy looking at it tomorrow and another who made a lower offer if I still have it next Friday. I started at 35k, dropped to 33k (I expected anyone who looked would offer less so I built a little extra in the price).

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The screen is hard to stare through all day, but I like it better than the poly windows. They tend to scratch and yellow after time.
Here's the view through the one I run.
That's what I was afraid of .. hummmm..... I think I might go crosseyed with that... maybe I'll just try to be careful . Thanks for the view ItBmine.
Doc, I know what you mean. but this getting old is for the birds so I plan on keeping my U35a while. Plus, if the old home place in Ark. goes thru with being sold, I need something to keep my mind off of what I'll be missing over there. I plan on bringing Mama's and Daddy's little '94 Toyota pickup over and getting it to run again - (It's just like mine too) . Gotta have something to do- beside fence/farm stuff. Something that "not" work.
That's right ItBmine 1842. Mostly cypress with plaster and tall ceilings in the old part . The floor joists are pegged together .Long story but the govt eminent domained thousands of acres during wwII around here to build an ammo hideout and since the house was 60 ft over the line they "drew" , They were going to tear it down . The Bil's dad moved it with a turnstile , mules. and logs those 60 ft (before bil was born) because it was the only home they had. All the chimneys fell along with the plastered wall and ceilings. The bil and his family lived in it that way until the late 60's when the dad passed. When he was a child, water would freeze on the mantle during the winter (here in Miss). Now though, he restored it and we all live here and work on the farm full time after he retired. :) God is good.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Kinda funny. Collie gets an excavator, and the same week I put mine up for sale.
All is good with it but I found another toy I think I'll get more use out of. All for fun. I've done most of what I wanted with the excavator, and I know there will be more things come up that I could use it for but, in the mean time I hate to have it sitting. So my Kubota KX033-4 is up for sale (2017 w/585 hours). Got a guy looking at it tomorrow and another who made a lower offer if I still have it next Friday. I started at 35k, dropped to 33k (I expected anyone who looked would offer less so I built a little extra in the price).
That sounds like a good price Doc. If this one with the suspension seat adjustable blade and ac had't come along , I would have been on yours like a border collie puppy after a steak left on the table ( in an empty room) (( ask why I said that ?)) you can guess right hahaha. Haha ,except for Andrew- who's steak it was .
Seriously, those things are back ordered from the factory and are still bring top dollars. I think that your upper price is very reasonable, Check on machinery trader for examples.