I Hate Spring

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
The last few days the weather has been beautiful in East Texas so I thought that I better get it in gear and start doing the things I've been putting off for the last couple of months.

Last fall and during the winter, as I stopped using various pieces of equipment, I cleaned them, lubed them, drained them and generally got them ready for storage so that when spring came, I'd be ready to go ... WRONG.

I thought that I'd start by clearing up a pile of limbs that were laying around and toss them into the burning pit. Nothing too big there so I thought I'd use the little arborist saw, no need to break out the Stihl. Fill it full of fresh gas/oil mix, prime it and choke it and pull and pull but the darned thing won't start. This little saw has started second or third pull for the six years that I've had it. Took to the shop, stripped it down, cleaned it, sprayed it, kissed it and fondled it, put it back together, took it out side, yanked on it and it fired right up. The third blip on the trigger and the, what I thought was perfectly adjusted chain, flew right off the bar. You get the idea. To cut and toss that small pile of limbs into the burning pit took all day.

Next day the weather was still beautiful so I thought that I'd start by spot spraying the early weeds that were starting to grow in the yard before the St. Augustine started to grow. I filled the backpack sprayer and was ready to go. Threw it on my back and after about 6 pumps ... it broke. I had to dump the the 4 gallons of herbicide into the 25 gallon pull behind sprayer so I could work on it. I had to run to town to get the parts to fix the sprayer and eventually mixed another 4 gallons of herbicide and got it done. There were still a few hours of daylight left so I though that I'd go and turn the water well that is used for watering the yard and veggie garden back on. I flipped the breaker, the pump kicked right on, I looked around and water was shooting everywhere from the tap that is used for water the big veggie garden. Now, I'd drained the whole system so there is absolutely no possibility of freezing but that schedule 40 was cracked and firing water all over the place. I decided that I wasn't going to repair it one more time so I went to town (again) and got galvanized pipe and repaired it once and for all. End of day.

Today. Since yesterday I had poured 4 gallons of herbicide into the 25 gallon pull behind sprayer, I decided that I'd just make it up to 25 gallons and go spray the "back 40". I hook it up to the little tractor, put 20 gallons in it, add the herbicide and the 12 volt pump dies. I check the in line fuse, all the splices all the way back to the pump and everything is good. I take the pump off, check it out, clean the brushes and can't find anything wrong. I put it back together, remount it, plug it in and it fires right up. Of course, by this time it's too late to actually do any spraying so that's on the agenda for first thing tomorrow.

So, is anyone else having the start up woes that I'm having. I hate spring ... only because I always seem to spend more time working on what I thought was well maintained equipment than actually using it.

Well, tomorrow after I finally get the spraying done I have to spread 20 sacks of lawn fertilizer on the yard. Now you wouldn't think that there couldn't be anything go wrong with a PTO spreader, would you? You want to take bets on that!!! I'm almost dreading it.

I'm sorry for the long post but it's been a frustrating few days.

quasar85

You should be thankful it only happens in Spring and you have three other seasons!

I can have experiences like that all year round.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that ETF. :(

It's still below freezing here so nothing like that going on here, yet... My day will come soon.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I feel for you Frank , that sounds a lot like last years experience for me . We still have a couple of weeks it might get below freezing so I haven't tried using very much equipment yet this year other then the tractors which I worked on most of the winter .

I used both tractors yesterday regrading the drives I screwed up doing snow removal yesterday & all went well . But when I went to back my little Harley gas golf cart out I had no reverse, which I also thought I had fixed this winter. :hammer:

My next outdoor tasks are perty much what went wrong for you so far , now I'm not looking forward to them after reading this, so please report back that things are going better the next few weeks . :mrgreen: Best of luck .

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
After hearing All that I am glad I don't have to do that stuff any more. Oh the retired life is rough.

I am retired and have been for a number of years but you're right, the last few days have been pretty rough. :)

The forecast today was for showers during the day with thunderstorms this evening (they were wrong again) so I put off the spraying until later. I did run in to town and picked up 16 sacks of granular fertilizer. When I got home I picked up the 3-pt spreader and went over it good, making sure that the gate was moving freely and opening and closing properly. Everything looked good and I put out the 16 sacks on the yard without a problem. I thought that things were getting better, we've finally turned the corner, until I tried to take the spreader off the tractor. The PTO shaft attaches to the tractor PTO with one of those locking collars that you have to twist to get on and off. I greased the shaft and oiled the collar before I started but when I went to take it off it it was locked on the the tractor PTO as if it was welded. After brute force and ignorance couldn't get it off I dropped the spreader and split the PTO shaft at the slip joint. More brute force still couldn't get the collar off the tractor PTO. I sprayed that puppy with just about every kind of solvent, rust eater and lubricant that I had. I left it for 30 minutes while I had a much needed break and a cup of coffee. I came back out, grabbed hold of it, turned the collar and it slipped right off there. There is a God in heaven. I regreased everything before I put it back together so hopefully next time ....

There was only a couple of hours of daylight left so I thought that I'd give the ol' F350 a quick wash. I got out the power washer, fueled it up, added soap to the dispenser and guess what? ... nah, you're all wrong, it worked perfectly. :clap::clap::clap:

I wonder what tomorrow will bring. Since it's supposed to be thundering and raining all day, hopefully not a lot. :whistling:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhh EastTexFrank, At last , you deserve it. Maybe we will get enough rain to raise the ponds a little and you can take a much needed break..... You do have a tornado plan right?? Bordercollie

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
You do have a tornado plan right?? Bordercollie

You betcha. Our House actually has a sunken basement surrounded by earth and 15 inches of the hardest darned reinforced concrete that I ever tried to drill in to. Down there is a/c ducting and natural gas heating, also 2 x 50 gallon gas water heaters. That's also where I store our camping equipment (that we haven't used in a million years) so we can go down there and actually live for days. I keep a chest down there stocked with some food, coffee and cooking utensils and not to forget the most important thing .... a porta pottie. We have light, heat, food, water, camp beds, sleeping bags, chairs, just about everything to make life bearable. We've actually been under there 4 times in the past 14 years because of tornados and as long as you treat it as an adventure, it can be kinda fun. Oh, I forgot to mention that we also have radios and a watchman type TV so we can keep up with what's going on around us.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Does the watchman TV actually pick up the new digital TV channels?:wall:

Maybe if I took the Sat dish from the RV and grabbed one of the satellite boxes from the house ..... Nah, that's way too much work. It's just there so we can see one of the local stations and find out when it's clear to come out.

Actually, you could live down there for quite a while. The only drawback is that there is no direct entry from inside the house. You have to go out back and go underneath the back deck to get to it. When you need to use it in an emergency, the rain is usually coming down in buckets so the wife and I keep a couple of ponchos in the hall closet. The dogs now, they just get soaked. :)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad things are going good EastTexFrank. I thought I was gonna have to send some of those fried pies over there to lift spirits the way things had been going. :) We have a tornado room several steps outside too.. Gotta have a heads up don't ya. I gotta figure out how to get my bird in there when it gets bad as she has a flight cage and doesn't do" NOTHING" unless she wants to. The pups aren't a problem .
I intend to get an extra weather radio for the place but little if any signal gets through the steel-forget cell phones. You never know when you will need a secure place with good locks it sounds like you have your family taken care of. bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a nice tornado shelter too! Mine is a bit bigger then most and is ready to rock-and-roll for whatever comes at us. To give you an idea, the man-door to get in weighs around 3,000 pounds.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I have a nice tornado shelter too! Mine is a bit bigger then most and is ready to rock-and-roll for whatever comes at us. To give you an idea, the man-door to get in weighs around 3,000 pounds.

Yea zoomer but not everyone has a missile silo. Some of us have to settle for a little bit less. :yum::yum::yum: