Insurance

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
In another thread Mith asked about security for tractors and implements.

I've had State Farm for years. The only thing about them is that just because they have "Farm" in their name doesn't mean they know anything about farming. I've been trying for 2 days to add Beth's new BX to the vehicle policy. When we first moved and I added the old B2910 it took them over a week to decide how and where to rate it. When I traded the B for the L3400 took a couple of days and when I got the gator (later traded in on an RTV) they finally put it down as a golf cart :pat:

I sent pictures front and side views along with pictures of the s/n plates just to make sure they knew what I was talking about.

I'm a member of the Farm Bureau. Has anyone had experience with their insurance? I'm more concerned with their response and handling of claims than the price.

Thanks,

Jim with the golf cart and two "others" on the policy

B

bczoom

Can't help you with the Farm Bureau.

Why do you insure your tractors like your cars? Mine are covered under my homeowners.

The RTV was also covered but since PA now requires them to be registered, I had to get insurance for it.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The problem is neither tractor or the RTV stays on the property and State Farm (my agent) says the homeowners policy only covers them when they are home. We share a lease on 20 acres down the road so I'm back and forth all the time. We use the RTV to visit all the neighbors too. The L3400 will be making 250 mile one way road trips to the place down south until I get the barn and shop built.

I'm looking around because I'm just not getting a good feeling about the way they are rating things.

Jim

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I hear a lot of people that have added the tractor under an "Inland Marine" policy. Check around, they're out there and not very expensive.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hear a lot of people that have added the tractor under an "Inland Marine" policy. Check around, they're out there and not very expensive.

yep. That is exactly what I have. Priced very reasonable to. 50 dollars a year. I think mine is with Erie.

jwstewar

Staff member
I also have an Inland Marine add-on to my homeowners. It still only covers on my property and to and from service - not to another job site. Without the rider on my homeowner's policy they would only cover something like 3 grand. Needless to say, that wasn't going to get it since the loader was more than that by itself. I think it is something like $70 a year for replacement value not depreciated value - just like everything else in the house.

DK35vince

My homeowners covers very little on my tractors and attachments.
I added the "Inland Marine" policy ($130/year through Erie Insurance). Covers the tractors, backhoe and all my attachments. My tractor also gets trailered several times per year. The Inland Marine policy covers it off my property and being trailered as long as it is not being used to make $$.

jwstewar

Staff member
I think it is something like $70 a year for replacement value not depreciated value - just like everything else in the house.

Boy, when I wrote that I sure didn't know less than 2 weeks later I would have to be finding out how this whole process works....Take it from me, go through your house and document everything and store the list/DVD offsite.

I've got the farm, my business,homeowners, and all the vehicles insured through Kentucky Farm Bureau. Lowest rates every time I've shopped around. Good service on the occasions I've needed them, and a good working relationship with the agent. :applause: :Tip-Hat2: No complaints on my part.