JD 7130 needs help

Phil P

Hello All

We have a neighbor that is having a problem with his 7130 John Deere tractor.

As near as I can tell the engine is being limited to power output I assume by the computer system.

We have a fleet of JD equipment with only one new tractor and one used recently acquired late model tractor the rest of our JD fleet ranges in age from 50 years to 20 years old. For this reason I am not familiar with the electronics on these late model tractors.

Our neighbor has an unfortunate situation in that his brother has passed away and he has walked into an operation that aperies to have been operating unmanaged for some time.

I sent one of his tractors to the dealer because there were problems of a mechanical nature that were not repairable in the fielded like front axle suspension that needed weld repair and line bore.

However before sending this one to dealer I would like to at least figure out what the problem is.

So my question is:

Can trouble codes be brought up on the LCD screen in the instrument panel.

Here is a picture of the panel.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20230603_153250.jpg
    20230603_153250.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Deere is pretty tight on allowing diagnostics by owners. They try to keep all the tools to themselves.
I don't know how good aftermarket options are but do an internet search for "John Deere OBD reader". There's some tools available but again, I don't know how good they are.

Reactions: Doc

Phil P

Thanks bczoom

We have a new JD and the trouble codes can be displayed on the LDC screen in the instrument panel.

I am trying to find out if the same can be done on this tractor.

Phil P

sandman

His best bet is to dump that tractor as fast as he can. The 7820 and 7830 are real problem children. Keep an eye on the aluminum radiator as well. The 7800 and 7810 are basically bulletproof with some getting over 20000 hours trouble free. I have a 7800 with about 7000hrs and the only had a problem with a sensor on the pto. The 2 things I don't like 1 is the a/c system that has fans under the seat with cab air intake where dust can collect and 2 the electric over hydraulic powershift that is jumpy instead of the older mechanical powershifts.