Just avoided catastrophic failure!

Mark777

I figured this could happen to someone else, but not me right? Wrong…

Being very fussy about, and concerning routine maintenance, fluid checks, and general attention to my tractors and implements I nearly blew it big time. Maybe even dodging a very big bullet that could have snapped my tractor in half.

I bought this property a few years ago, and in this area everything is in the 100 year flood plane…which means when it rains (hard) your land retains a lot of standing water. So to combat this I keep buying 7 yard dumps of clean fill and some top soil….20 truck loads so far, which equates to lots of seat time for this old geezer. And while doing so I fell into that repetitious complacency where the tasks just seem to be automatic. I did not sense, hear or see anything out of the ordinary, but just happened to look down while grabbing another full bucket load, and watch my hood move (from the cowl) nearly a ¼”. Immediately dumping the load, I saw the hood travel back to it’s original position. Oh No, too late I’m thinking…and crawled back to my shop expecting to find some form of disastrous rip, tear or broken structural part somewhere.

This is the kind of thing that shakes your confidence as I built the FEL (mostly) from scratch. I checked every square inch and find nothing wrong. Nope…nada, no cracks, flex, nothing broken even while rolling around with my trusty drop light and creeper……and then I checked the bolts at the sub frame. Holy cow! Every single bolt had backed out and were loose at the engine, frame rail, and transmission mounting points (14 total). Even though I cleaned all of the thread bosses with lacquer thinner, blew them out and re-cleaned with denatured alcohol, used Lock-Tite thread sealant and torque’d them at 80#’s they managed to come loose within 6 months. I just couldn’t believe that the sealant failed…I was just dumb lucky. Needles to say I will be checking these bolts every time I fuel up…or have it in my shop for any other reason.

Don’t know if this confession of ignorance will help anyone….but I just thought I’d toss it out there LOL.

Mark

larryRB

Mark
this happens to all tractors,, Just timing when they decide to loosen up., I have a Kubota L 48 TLB, check the bolts each time I change oil and filters,, every 50 hours.. You mentioned lacquer thinner,, On another net, you and I, couple years back, talked back channel about the days of shooting centari, air brushes and the like.

PBinWA

It happened to my Mahindra 2615 fairly early on. Originally, Mahindra wasn't using loctite on the bolts and they came loose around 100 hours after some heavy FEL work.

The funny thing is that not long after I cleaned all the bolts and loctited them in, I got an email from my dealer telling me that Mahindra had released a service bulletin telling people to check the bolts and use loctite on them.

;)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good post Mark. I have not ever checked those bolts. I've done general underside inspections, but that's it. I'll be checking mine next time I fire her up. :thumb:

Mark777

Man, quick responses...

Yes, I fell out of habit and made the assumption that my careful application of 'thread locker' was forever (or until I applied heat to release). It WAS the first time the stuff ever failed me...and probably why it was the last thing I checked.

Thanks.

***edit*** (Hey Larry, I'm sure I remember you from our custom painting conversations. Good to hear from you again).

Mark

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow!..................I know where I'm going the next time I walk up to the Yote!