MF 275 Fan Belt Replacement - how to remove the shaft from the crankshaft to the AC Compressor

hwebster

I have a MF 275 early 1980's. The fan belt broke but to replace it I have to remove a shaft that is threaded into the pulley on the crankshaft. The shaft runs thru the front casting and terminate below the ac compressor assembly. Has anyone had to deal with this scenario? There is zero space to get a pipe wrench on the shaft, I've tried getting a pry bar between the bolts on the crankshaft pulley and then trying to loosen the shaft but can't get any purchase on the shaft. Any information is appreciated.

hwebster

Ok - the shaft is bolted to the crankshaft pulley - large flange that appears to be part of the crankshaft pulley. Sadly my hands aren't made for those space.. very painful to remove it. Can't wait to put it back together :-(

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
It's not a 275, but is the setup similar to something like this? Looks like he made pretty quick work of it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can you post how you got it sorted out? This will help others in the future if they see how it was resolved.

hwebster

You bet - You need to remove the 4 bolts on the crankshaft pulley and split the pulley from the shaft. I also dropped the bearing the supports the shaft at the front of the tractor. The video posted early has it nailed. It doesn't deal with the fact that you can't get your hands or tools into the space easily. I drafted my neighbours grandson to put the bolts back in. I had to remove the body panels and alternator as well. A lot of work to replace a belt...