New RTV 900 owner

Dmaxxin

Well, I'm a "new" Kubota RTV 900 owner, or soon to be once the details are hashed out. 05 RTV 900, 99 hours, Black paint job, lift kit. My grandfather bought it back in 2011 with 50 hours on it. I've used it a bit up to camp, and have had it at my place different times and I really like the machine.

I'm interested in a putting a Turbo on it, and replacing the stock wheels and tires with something more aggressive. Probably Tracks for winter in the future as well. Maybe even a plow.

I have done some browsing/searching and see some great info. Kind of pointing me in the right direction tire wise I think.

As far as Turbo kits go, has anyone built there own? Just looking at pictures the plumbing looks pretty simple.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Dmaxxin. Glad you signed up. I don't have an RTV so I can't help much with info. But we have plenty of RTV owners here.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you RTV!

Wow. An 05 with only 99 hours. I'll bet that thing is still pretty clean.

Can't help with the turbo. Out of curiosity, why do you want/need it? Most here that have installed them are due to very high elevations (7000'+). I don't recall there being a lot of gain or benefit at our lower elevations.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Well, I'm a "new" Kubota RTV 900 owner
QUOTE]

Hello and Welcome Dmaxxin !!!!

Good you joined in. We like pictures and many here love to
help you with anything that needs helping with.

Members here, can just about fix anything but a
BROKEN HEART !!!!

Attachments

• BROKEN HEART.jpg
    BROKEN HEART.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 171

Dmaxxin

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you RTV!

Wow. An 05 with only 99 hours. I'll bet that thing is still pretty clean.

Can't help with the turbo. Out of curiosity, why do you want/need it? Most here that have installed them are due to very high elevations (7000'+). I don't recall there being a lot of gain or benefit at our lower elevations.

Its a little lacking on the long hills and I notice the temp will creep up. Some more air via some boost I would think should really help my cause. I did see from some reading on here that there are some adjustments I need to check.

BaiJiu

Welcome to the forum Dmaxxin, an 05 with 99 hours "WOW". That is not even broken in yet.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Its a little lacking on the long hills and I notice the temp will creep up. Some more air via some boost I would think should really help my cause. I did see from some reading on here that there are some adjustments I need to check.
The temp creep is normal so long as it stays "in the green".

As for the lacking, do a forum search for "aux pump". There's a secondary pump in there that will give you more power but will take away from your speed. Once that pump kicks in, you should have all kinds of power. The pump is invoked by backing off the gas pedal. Instinct says to mash it to the floor for more power but on the RTV, if you want more power, you back off the pedal to around 1/2 way.

Dmaxxin

As for the lacking, do a forum search for "aux pump". There's a secondary pump in there that will give you more power but will take away from your speed. Once that pump kicks in, you should have all kinds of power. The pump is invoked by backing off the gas pedal. Instinct says to mash it to the floor for more power but on the RTV, if you want more power, you back off the pedal to around 1/2 way.

I'm looking for the thing to maintain 25 mph on some of the hilly sections of road I'll occassionally run. If I can get a little more top speed out of it on the flat that would be a plus as well. The temp creep isn't horrendous, she'll definitely get a little warm.

Any negatives with with the turbo other than the obvious risks associated with added power?

And obviously the cost.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

PLease listen to bczooms statement. He is correct on this !!!!:2gunsfiring_v1:

....... two guns

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I'm looking for the thing to maintain 25 mph on some of the hilly sections of road I'll occassionally run. If I can get a little more top speed out of it .................................

QUOTE]

Personally, I don't think you will ever get anymore that what you got on your speed situation.

Not even if you threw it out of a aircraft with a rocket attached !!!!

Attachments

• fast_turtle.jpg
    fast_turtle.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 168

Dmaxxin

I'm looking for the thing to maintain 25 mph on some of the hilly sections of road I'll occassionally run. If I can get a little more top speed out of it .................................

QUOTE]

Personally, I don't think you will ever get anymore that what you got on your speed situation.

Not even if you threw it out of a aircraft with a rocket attached !!!!

I guess we'll find out. I'm pretty sold on the turbo after some of the results I have read. I was also figuring on a coast valve, which from the sounds of the 2 stage pump will benefit me in the road travel department.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hoping some of the turbo owners chime in. I don't recall them saying they got any more speed out of their machine.

Dmaxxin

Hoping some of the turbo owners chime in. I don't recall them saying they got any more speed out of their machine.

I did see one account where someone was happy with it and gained a few miles an hour on the flat.

Just having dabbled in a little diesel performance in general I got to believe the turbo will do what I wan't.

Dmaxxin

I have sifted through a fair amount of the info on the forum

Here is the example of the fella who gained a few mile an hour.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13939

I guess I'm not going to shake any more info loose. When the weather breaks here and I get some other stuff out of the way I'm going to start puttering with this thing I suppose. Check all the adjustments as mentioned on the forum.

Looking at the coast valve.......... Does it only bypass in high range? I see the spool is 3 sectioned and has a hole drilled in 1.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Looking at the coast valve.......... QUOTE]

There is a adjustment on the RTV where a mechanic can make, that will do the same thing as a coast valve.

It's on this forum somewhere. Been a few years since I've read it .....

....... two guns

P.S.
Just might want to pick yourself up a pair of these pliers. Sure helps to remove the fuel filler cap.

Attachments

• Oil Filter Pliers.jpg
    Oil Filter Pliers.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 142

Dmaxxin

There is a adjustment on the RTV where a mechanic can make, that will do the same thing as a coast valve.

It's on this forum somewhere. Been a few years since I've read it .....

....... two guns

P.S.
Just might want to pick yourself up a pair of these pliers. Sure helps to remove the fuel filler cap.

I'll have to search for the info. I was thinking it would be handy to be able to swap between coast and normal. I intended to take a look at the hydraulics/drive system and see if thats possible since I assumed the spool they show just creates a bypass situation of some sort.

I'm also guessing if there is a possible adjustment, there is a reason someone designed that replacement spool.......