NTT Planned outage, could be extended for some members

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have to move the location of the NTT servers. This means changing physical location and hooking into a new network which will mean a new IP address. Every time we change IP addresses some folks have an extended outage while others see a much shorter outage. No rhyme or reason to who gets what.

We found out this was going to be required a short time ago and have been planning and making ready for a few days now. We could not pin down the time until we had decided on the new location.

We will start changing IP addresses tomorrow night, but since you all have the current IP address cached you will be able to connect for most of the evening. All will be shut down Thursday morning and the servers will all be moved to the new location. The physical move will not take long. The propagating of the IP will be the deciding factor in how long we are offline. We hope by changing the addresses Weds night it will speed up the switchover. Never fear, we will be back online as soon as humanly possible.

urednecku

Yep, thanks. I'd of blamed the internet service I get for sure.

Second thought, I'll probably forget & do that anyhow!!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Stuff is starting to happen fast now. Our time table has been bumped up a bit. The servers will be taken down and moved sometime after 6pm tonight.
C ya on the other side. :biggrin:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember when the address changed a few years back.

Out here at the ranch via a local excellent ISP, they found your new IP address and I reconnected within hours. But later when I went back to town, my ISP there PacBel (ATT) still hadn't updated their DNS database and I had to wait until the next day.

I suppose the time to get back on will be random for everyone.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Problems abound. So disregard my last. Looks like we move the servers in the morning.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Everything is on hold until later today. Current target is between 5 and 8pm tonight. Don't take that to the bank. :yum: :hide:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Up at the new location, or move delayed?

I hit 'Not Found' an hour ago, but obviously this got through just now.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Everything has been moved.

We should be back now. Awhile ago it was going to Doc's boat site.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow CA. You got right on here. We were on the new site when you posted that last night. Congrats. You were first. I can just now get here, over 12 hours later. Geesh.
I was on forumsforums and netcookingtalk last night around 11 but net tractor talk was going to the wrong IP which showed it as net boat talk. I know that confused a bunch and I got the emails to show it. Sorry bout that folks. That was because the wrong IP was put in for the tractor site at first. It was caught at 8pm last night and fixed but the wrong address got published and stayed published while the right one seemed to take forever. Such is life when dealing with DNS.
Whew, tough morning.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Using safari on my phone I got here first try. Can't try my pc until I get home

Art454

I got some boatsite when I clicked on the forum last few days.....thought it was gone.....glad to see it back and thanks for keeping it going.

Art

urednecku

DOC, I my puter finally found tractors, too. Thought for a while there I was gonna have to sell my 'bota & get a boat!!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - Our Louisiana and Mississippi members are still ending up at NBoatT.

They don't share the same ISP.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This has been the craziest DNS issue ever. Normally you can't connect. Then you can, and all is good. This time I could connect. Then I couldn't, then I get net boat talk ...meaning it DNS has changed to the wrong server in our group of servers. net boat talk comes up as the default site if you go to that server with a domain name that does not exist on that server, such as net tractor talk. It does not live there, so the boat talk site comes up instead. confusing for sure. Perhaps the weekend is not the best time to put in DNS changes. I think later today all should be straightened out.

DNS is an auto updating process that goes on 24 hours a day. A master DNS server gets all DNS changes and then propagates the changes out to all minor participating DNS servers. I have re-updated the net tractor talk IP address daily since this change to ensure it gets out there and corrected. Since it is now, finally, working for me, I have to think that it will eventually get fixed for all members. There is nothing else I can do to help with this situation. I understand it is frustrating for all, me included. :angry: