options for using a winch (for winching) on an RTV with plow

joshkahan

Hi folks - I have an RTV x1100c with a curtis plow - mounts via 2" receiver hitch -- has hydraulic angle & electric linear actuator lift.

I also have a winch (tucked under the brush guard). I want to able to winch stuff without disconnecting the plow. What are my options -- I was thinking of some pulley-based arm that extends up at an angle over the plow with brush guard suppor support. FYI - this photo shows the plow before I mounted CAMSO tracks:) Thanks,
3.0 - plow rtv kahan.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A pulley mounted to the brush guard may bend the brush guard pretty easily.
On the bracket over the plow, is there a strong place you could attach a snatch block? I'm thinking something like this.
1614445196684.png

joshkahan

thanks for the quick reply - really appreciated of course - I though the same thing via some sort of arm that extends up from winch mount and uses the brush guard only for stability (lateral) purposes -- the winching pressure would be directed down the arn to the winch mount.

I can't believe I am the first person to deal with this:)

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
You should probably consider the Angle of the Load-applied if you re-direct the cable-pull-direction. Your winch mount is probably designed with a straight-pull in mind. A pull from above or the side might apply a load against your mount and frame not intended and might cause damage to the mount/frame assembly.
I’ll bet that could get expensive to repair.

Iron mike

Winch rope to a pulley attached to the plow then up to the brush guard have run it this way on many an atv and Jeep, the weight on the brush guard is only that of the weight of the plow. it also keeps the winch rope straight and not winching at an angle. You could do it winch to pulley attached to the brush guard then down to the plow, weight on the brush guard is the same but the winch is pulling at an angle, but it’s best to keep the load straight. I also use a pulley at the winch not a fair lead to keep the rope from walking along the drum.

Attachments

• A45CCDDF-9695-481C-A955-7F5D29B80523.jpeg
    A45CCDDF-9695-481C-A955-7F5D29B80523.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 2C8E1DA6-EE77-455F-94B7-006CAACF3D81.jpeg
    2C8E1DA6-EE77-455F-94B7-006CAACF3D81.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19

joshkahan

thanks all for the quick replies --I guess in the bigger scheme of life, if this is my challenge du jour then I should be grateful.

Reactions: Doc

Iron mike

My apologies I totally misread your original question. And gave the total wrong answer.

yes you can use the winch to winch objects while you still have the plow attached. (That was the question right ?) in fact if done right the plow blade can be used as a earth anchor to stop the Rtv from sliding forward .

you need a open top fair lead, roller on the bottom and sides but either the top open or one with a removable top similar to this. http://www.pacificmarine.net/marine-deck/fairleads/3-roller-fairlead.htm

mount the open top fairlead on top of your plow blade, centred. Use the plow as normal until you need to winch something, get into position, lower the blade, unhook the winch cable from the blade and free spool it to the object you want to winch, routing it thru the open top fairlead. Then use the winch as you pull the rope will get tight and push down on the fairlead and plow creating a anchor with the blade and pull the object towards you. Once finished winching hook the cable back up to the plow raise the blade and drive away.

joshkahan

thank you so so much @Iron mike for this awesome product info - I actually don't use my winch for plow lifting - the Curtis plow (specially made for Kubota actually used an electrical linear actuator for vertical plow movement (expensive little bastard) -- plow angle is via Kubota RTV hydraulics (which is awesome). thanks again.
-josh