Our new buggy

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I will probably do more reading than posting but thanks for all the years of good info that you all have assembled!
For me it started with craigslist browsing used buggys, I had settled on a mule 3010 or 610. I thought I had better buy a new one because you never know how a person took care of something used and I already have so much stuff to work on I just wanted one thing new and reliable. I slowly convinced myself that it had to be diesel because everything else around here is and another requirement was power steering, power dump. In the Mule line that put me at $14K.... Plus a snow plow and some sort of windshield because its cold and windy as hell here and now were talking serious cash. What else is out there for that kind of money?
I thought I would take a look at the kubota dealer they are friendly and I have owned Kubota tractors and Kubota engines and never had any trouble with them. It did not take long to warm up to the RTV 900, It came with Hydraulic steering, Hydraulic dump standard, built like a tank, and was $1000 cheaper than the mule. It was pretty much settled if i could convince myself to peel off that kind of money for a buggy it would be the bota. After pricing the 900 and a plow again sticker shock settled in and cooled me for a bit.
After Weeks of belly aching, research, ect... Long story short the ole lady and I went back to the Kubota dealer and bought the X1100C. As cold and windy as it is here in the winter I thought it would get waaaay more use with a heated cab... And I was right!
We have had it for about two weeks now, I have absolutely no buyers remorse, yesterday I spent about two hours clearing brush it was 20 degrees out 20mph winds and I had the window down about 6" with the heater fan on the lowest setting! Basically its been about the most fun you can have working on a farm in cold windy weather.
The transition from a worn out Kawasaki mule for $2500 to a Kubota X1100C with heat ac and a windshield wiper took about a year for me but i wont be looking back!

I just received the basic Curtis plow, its in pieces yet to be assembled, after reading the assembly manual it looks pretty straight forward. Also ordered the headache rack so i don't toss a piece of fire wood ect through the back glass, it looks kinda cheep but i guess it will serve its purpose and maybe hold some bungees.

In my limited experience with the x1100c the pros are to many to list. The cons for me are there is nowhere to put anything in the cab except under the seat, and there is not much leg room. Not so con cons would be there are no arm rests on the doors to speak of, the cup holders don't have a slot for a coffee cup handle. Wish list would be doors you can lock from inside the cab and remote start would be awesome!

The short list of mods I will be installing include some Speedtech mini lightbars on the roof I have them on my tractor and they are awesome, bed extensions like the ones you all have posted especially with the chainsaw mount, and im thinking I can mount a gun rack under the head rests with out hitting my neck on it.. anyone try that?

If you have read this post through I have taken up too much of your time, thanks again for all the great info, hopefully this buggy will last a very very long time and continue to bring joy in this dismal weather :)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new RTV!!!

We're really good at spending other people's money so we'll recommend a bunch of accessories you probably don't need but will get talked into buying anyway. :)

628pm

Site Supporter
I just installed a rear view camera on my X900 this week, wanted to add this so when I push snow I can see out the back easier. Monitor can take 2 feeds, thinking about mounting another camera up higher in case the snow causes problems seeing out the back. Can buy another camera for $20.00.

You will get a lot of hours out of your new vehicle.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Toolman77 has a great gun mount for your 1100. Not sure if he is still making them.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome aboard. Good to get a fella that thinks and works like pretty much the rest of us. Perhaps that is why this place is like a family. There are a lot of threads about accessories that guys have made or use and thankfully this place has a great "SEARCH" that actually works. Mainly though, for me, there are guys and gals here who actually do use these things to WORK!!!!!!!!!!! That is what they are for, not toys to show off to the neighbors.
Anyway, welcome aboard and do take pics of how folks do it in Alaska..........God bless.......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. :) Not only is the machine great looking but so is the pup a stand out. bordercollie

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
OK, that gun mount looks awesome, I like that it keeps the gun up above the rear window out of sight. I will be on the hunt for the rubber mounts so I can fabricate something similar, Thanks for the photos!
I have one question I know you guys can answer, there is a valve behind the drivers side cab... it just seems to go no where, I pulled the hose off and it had coolant in it. I am most curious as to its purpose?
Thanks!
Has anyone straight piped their RTV? I just put one on my tractor and it sounds awesome! Thanks

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Curtis Plow

Ok For those of you installing curtis plow....

Instructions " Route the Male bullet terminal end of the 18 ga. blue wire to the vehicle wire harness located under the seat and outside the drivers side frame rail and connect it to the first of three open female bullet terminal ends in the vehicle wire harness"

I could not find said connectors.... I called the dealer and they said they never found those connectors either, however there is a bullet connector behind the passenger seat that accomplishes the same thing. which is to activate the relay when the key is on. its above the AC pump red and white wire...

I just plowed in the dark and it was awesome! very fun! I dont have any cab lights just the stock head lights and they worked good but i will be ordering led cab lights from Speedtech I put those on my tractor and love them!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome to our forums. You found the home of the best RTV forum in the nation. Congrats on your new RTV. It looks GREAT. No doubt you will love it. These are great machines.

I'm curious as to what part of Alaska you live in? A friend of mine was up there last July, rented a motor home around Anchorage, trucked down to Homer and then worked their way north. He LOVED it. He's now ready to move up there. His dad was in the Army up there when he was young, so he has lived there before.

I watch the reality show Alaska: The Last Frontier (I think) it's the one with the Kilchers. Jewel the singer is one of the guys daughters. I think their land is somewhere between Anchorage and Homer, on that peninsula somewhere. So where bouts are you in relation to all that?

Attachments

• Alaska1.jpg
    Alaska1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 131

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Hey Doc,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I Actually now live in Ohio, we have been here for three years now, before that I lived in North Carolina Raleigh area for 12 years. I was born and raised in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula which you are referring too! Born in Soldotna I lived in Sterling. When I left Alaska in 2001 and arrived in north carolina most people thought we lived in igloos and did not know you could drive there! I guess the Alaska reality tv shows are good for educating that lot!
We have a cabin outside homer that is about a 6hour atv ride or 45min snowmachine ride I think it is not to far from the family you are referring too, way further into the bush though. Last time i was up there we were fishing a creek with spinners and catching 12" rainbows literally on every cast.... If you love the outdoors that is the place to be.

shinnery

Doc I believe wiccipedia says the Kelchers are from Fritz Creek, which is the second village east of Homer on one map I found and apparently they are working up towards the head of that inlet that Homer is on the north side of.
All of those shows must be taken with a grain of salt when they go to explaining how remote it is but then they have a camera crew with them to film it. They have been using an old Minnie Moline G1000 recently that I would sure like to see more of.
I just noticed I have been promoted to "senior member"!!!
Bryce

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I too checked out the kelchers on the map. I have never watched a full episode of the show you are talking about but I have driven East End Road many times and have a friend that lives on it. I would not say their location is remote, you can access it by car and it is not very far from McNeil Canyon School or Homer. They are on the brink of remote Homer is about as far south as you can drive in Alaska and East End Road is taking it a step farther by heading east along Kachemak Bay which is a beautiful glacier viewing drive to... well... remote, once you pass McNeil Canyon there is really nothing out there except a Russian village.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. I hope to make it up there to check it all out, or I should say check out some of that area in the next 2 or 3 years.

Welcome to Buckeye land. Are you a Buckeye fan now? Folks either love em or hate em. I lived in Columbus 20 years and loved the hype of Buckeye football. Nothing like it that I have experienced.

I'm now in SE ohio, right on the Ohio River. Are you anywhere close by?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Hey Doc,
We are about 30 miles south of Columbus on I71 so not to far. My favorite place to go in Cinci is Jungle Jims, man that place is awesome! My wife and her Sister are Ohio State alumni so its hard not to be a fan, I did like living in RTP area where your either a Duke fan or Carolina and if you pulled for state you were laughed at. The amount of :argue: was awesome you could walk up to anyone with garb on and start talking crap about their team.