Procedure to Align Pedal and Settings for Best Speed

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I looked through my 1120D shop manual today and was looking for the procedure to adjust my pedal linkage.

I like to help myself if I can and while I know my way around gas engines, I am not nearly as sharp on these little diesels. My mission is to learn how to get the best performance I can and have heard folks discuss the process on here before but not familiar with all the terms. Pictures help a lot. If there is a step by step in the manual somewhere, I can't find it.

Would anyone be able to suggest the section of the manual, a different book, magazine or link to this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Yeah Boy!!!! here we go---- i will try to keep this a ssimple as possible but i may as clear as mud so please ask questions if you don't understand.

to start off you need to disconnect the control rod from the hst speed lever on the transmission at the servo. then disconnect the linkage at the fuel injection pump throttle. confirm that the bellcrank under the bed is in it's neutral detent position. then in the cab under the foot feed is a stop screw that limits the down peddle,loosen the jamb nut and screw the stop in all the way. then with your hand push the peddle gently down until you feel the resistance of the peddle mechanism at it's maximum available travel. hold the peddle lightly at this point and adjust the stop screw up until it touches the peddle. now you have full available travel of the foot feed. have someone hold the foot feed down against the stop and adjust the hst speed control rod to the point that the hst speed lever at the servo is at max travel stop and then just back off a little so it isn't a hard stop. then with the peddle still against the stop adjust the throttle link so that the lever on the injection pump is just touching the max rpm stop. then let the peddle go back to the full up position and check the bellcrank to see if it returned to it neutral detent. cycle the peddle several times and then hold it down again and confirm the hst speed control lever is still max and the throttle is still against the stop. now you can be assured that your machine has full factoroy available and the throttle is in relation the hst.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Thank you for taking the time to post this! I will follow this process once I familiarize myself with what a bellcrank, injection pump throttle etc are. If I can follow USAF tech procedures, I know I can do it. It will just take me a little time to find my way around the engine. Your procedure its clear and makes sense. Thanks again!!!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
sure thing. raise the bed and turn off the engine then get someone to push the peddle down repeatably. look down on the top above the engine and you will see a cross shaft with rods and cables connected,this is what i call the bellcrank. then look for the fuel injection pump on the passenger side of the engine and notice a little cable about 10 or 12 inches long pulling a little lever on the injection pump,this is the throttle lever that controls engine speed. on the drivers side rear of the transmission partially hidden by the rear guard is a small lever with a long rod connected with a heim joint that runs at an angle up tpwards the front and connects to the bellcrank,this is your hst speed lever at the servo. take a few pics and post them here and i can confirm for you.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I have been down for two days with severe sciatica. Ice has been my friend. But got to the farm today and wanted to try this on the RTV. Started by loosening the the jamb nut and turned the stop screw all the way out. There was about 1/4 of an inch of additional travel before I felt it bind. I readjusted the stop screw and tightened the nut. I decided to test to see if that made any difference on the attached county road. Its hard to see but it is slightly uphill and I was surprised by the result. See pics. I would like to go through the rest of the process just to be sure but that is all I could fit in today with our field work. Thanks very much Art.

By the way, in our little corner of South-Eastern Ohio, the pears, plums and peaches here survived the frosts and the hard freeze. The pawpaws lost about 60% of fruit blossoms and we lost several trees. Most of those had substantial cicada damage from 2017 brood. The persimmons are just starting to emerge so I think they will be OK. Honeycrisp apples got no blossoms this year but the red delicious and granny smith have many tiny fruit started. The grimes golden apple did not survive the winter and will be recycled into grill smoking chunks. Bubblegum and Supreme plum trees are full. Don't want to jinx it but might actually cover expenses this season.

Attachments

• 20210502_170852.jpg
    20210502_170852.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210502_171018.jpg
    20210502_171018.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that looks pretty good. but you should really take the hst speed lever loose and the throttle cable loose also before you adjust the foot peddle. it is possible to overtravel the hst and damage things. also possible to put undue tension on the throttle linkage. the way you did it doesn't really test the full travel ov the peddle but lets the hst lever and throttle limit travel. but i like the photo