pto speeds

rj's barn

I have an old gray market machine that has 4 pto speeds. I'm fairly certain 1st is the standard 540rpm. Anybody have any idea what the top 3 gears are good for or what the speeds might be?
thanx guys

Mark777

577, 680, 796, 1010> these are approximate numbers and at indicated PTO speeds (2350-2400 RPM) attained from the tachometer hash mark.

My understanding is the top two gears are used to 'fluff' the silt - just after flooding the fields and before the rice is planted.

Mark777

rj,

Pretty much, yes. I've used the 577 and second speed 680 on the Yanmar tillers after the grunt work is done breaking apart hard packed soil. It (680) turns the soil to powder....I would never attempt to use higher PTO gears on anything like a shredder or PHD. Just way too much weight of spinning mass and the fear of the slightest obstruction like a small chunk of metal, rock or foreign (hidden) object in the brush will blow apart the tractors' transmission before it brakes an implement.

myyaz33

Had a B6100D Kubota with 3 speeds. 540,800,1000.

The Kubota finish mower was was supposed to be run at 800 and that was the only other implement I had that ran off PTO.

Now have a TYM T273 which only has 540 and I recently rebuilt a 3pt Kubota Backhoe model K-650 that has a Gresen TB-3 PTO pump that is designed to run 540-820. It really needs to be near 800 or the hoe is slow!

8x56mn

My Kobota B2150 has four speeds, the top being 1100. I use it for the MMM, it realy turns up and allows you to run a faster ground speed or slow for mulching

Erik

some folks use the 1100 RPM PTO speed at half throttle for low HP jobs - lets them get the RPMs without burning as much fuel. finish mowing is one of the uses I've heard of folks doing this.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Sweet. Thanka mark777. I'm guessing those upper speeds are useless here in the states?

rj,

Pretty much, yes. I've used the 577 and second speed 680 on the Yanmar tillers after the grunt work is done breaking apart hard packed soil. It (680) turns the soil to powder....I would never attempt to use higher PTO gears on anything like a shredder or PHD. Just way too much weight of spinning mass and the fear of the slightest obstruction like a small chunk of metal, rock or foreign (hidden) object in the brush will blow apart the tractors' transmission before it brakes an implement.

Mark, I'm just asking, if it is a tiller by the same manufacturer as the tractor, wouldn't all PTO speeds be able to be used?