Rear axle questions

2008 Rtv 1100
I got rear axle bearing at the wheel hub that is in pretty bad shape, the wsm says I need to remove the whole axle subframe. For those of you who've done this job before, is it possible to remove the axle and bearings with the subframe still in place?
Next question, has anyone found a replacement boot for these rear axles? I need 1 to cover the splined section. I can't find it anywhere on the parts diagram.

Thanks much

quid_non

Welcome homestead342!
Yep - you will need to remove the entire axle assembly to repair/replace either one or both of those hub bearings. Not a fun job - speaking from experience and all of the great posts on this forum. There are some good videos on the replacement - - be sure to mark the "spline" orientation on the shafts prior to removal of the axle - you need to get the "phasing" correct on both sides to minimize excessive vibration and repeat removal of the axle.
As for the rear boot covers - have not seen those either but perhaps some after market CV boots might work?
Good luck with the repair - it is a do-able job but takes time and patience. I'd recommend draining the UDT fluid prior to repair and refill with fresh fluid and 2 filters.... Others more experienced the myself will also add some great advice

aarkie

As long as you have it torn down check the u-joints, if you have very many miles on it they may be ready for a replacement. After market are a lot cheaper then Kubota's.

As long as you have it torn down check the u-joints, if you have very many miles on it they may be ready for a replacement. After market are a lot cheaper then Kubota's.
yeah I'll check those, the rubber bushing on the springs and frame are shot too it looks like.