RTV 1140 Acceleration Issue & Possible Missing Part

animalfriend

I bought a used 1140 about a year ago. It’s been progressively losing power. Recently, if I didn’t “baby” it when starting in high, it would stall (low and medium were okay). And rather suddenly it went from a top speed of 20 to 12. I had to go out of town, so I parked it until I got back.

A friend of a friend said he’d look at it while I was gone. I had ordered new filters and had him change filters and fluids. He discovered the back wheels didn’t turn freely and determined brakes were locked. He said I needed to order parts for him to fix it, so he disconnected them temporarily. He said it’s back to about 20mph again.

A friend drove it about 1000’ a couple days ago. My mother just found this piece (pic attached) along the route he drove, so we’re assuming it came from it. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what it is.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 0D40D1F6-13D9-41D3-8FE4-1A1595A4DAEC.jpeg
    0D40D1F6-13D9-41D3-8FE4-1A1595A4DAEC.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 95DC3E50-6C0A-4F90-ADC5-A65CCAA96D2F.jpeg
    95DC3E50-6C0A-4F90-ADC5-A65CCAA96D2F.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 20

animalfriend

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, that certainly looks like the part. When they discovered the brakes were locking, they sent me a pic to show me the part that wasn’t releasing. I just looked at the pic again and I can see this part in the pic (attached). Do you happen to know if replacing the brake cylinder is what’s most likely needed to fix the locking brake problem? I think that’s what he told me I needed, but it would have to be ordered. Given the price (and I need two), I’d like to know if there are any alternatives to replacing. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Oh, and I don’t recall the year offhand, but I think it’s a 2010. Thanks again.

Attachments

• AE347708-DDC8-44B3-BEBC-159AAC1B0974.jpeg
    AE347708-DDC8-44B3-BEBC-159AAC1B0974.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 11

animalfriend

Thanks. When I get back down there, I’ll get some better pictures and will be able to evaluate firsthand. Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

animalfriend

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t locate part 130. When I click the link, it took me to Messiac’s, but no diagram (just tabs for frequently purchased, parts catalog, and maintenance).

II spoke with a friend who was present when the guy worked on it and he said he disconnected that piece (that fell out) to keep the brakes from locking up. He said they’d lock up and not release every time he applied the brake. He did not disconnect the other side. Both were locking, so we’re unsure why he only disconnected one. The guy who did the work is out of town until June 28.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
chances are the binding is downstream from the brake piston in your photo. usually in the mechanical linkage or in the internal brake. most can be fixed with liberal penetrating oil. now that the brake slave has come apart you will need to rebuild that component