RTV backup camera

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm finding the downside of the new Curtis/Kubota MKII cabs is the difficulty in mounting outside mirrors. My wife has a Prius that has a backup camera and while driving it the other day, I thought that one of those might solve my RTV rear view problem.

Looking at aftermarket cameras showed most of them have a limited angle of vision but I finally found this Pyle PLCM7700 that claimed 170 deg vision angle and was about $70 w/free shipping from Amazon.

Judy approved the purchase as an early Xmas present so on to the results.

I decided to hook it up with a switch on the dash instead of a switch activated by the reverse gear so it would be available in other gears.

I finished the install after dark and turned it on to see if it would power up. It not only powered up but it has a decent picture at night outside. The picture below is a daytime shot, however.

A couple of pictures should give the info necessary on the install.

100_1553_zpsb435aa9f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

100_1551_zps690440cb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The install is not real pretty yet but if it works out, I'll clean it up and make it pretty. Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome!!!!! I just got a 25 dollar amazon gift card and I think I know what I'll use it for. GREAT idea. With a switch like that you can even watch when you are carrying a load and would know if something fell out. I like it. :thumb: :clap: :clap:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
100_1553_zpsb435aa9f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The install is not real pretty yet but if it works out, I'll clean it up and make it pretty. Bob
Bob - Are you aware that drilling into the ROPS is generally considered a "no no"?

Right off the bat, having any holes drilled in it automatically releases the mfgr from any liability should there be an incident and the ROPS failed to perform properly.

I may have to consider a camera but have gotten along OK without but I don't have a cab.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wouldn't worry too much with 2 holes being drilled but I've seen people drill a whole bunch of 3/8" holes in ROPS to attach things.

I live in very hilly terrain and have either rolled (normally ATV's) or come really close to flipping the RTV and tractor (like rolling down a hill, not just laying it on its side). I want my ROPS as strong as possible.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing the back up - camera idea/specs/photos. I'm sure others, like me, once you see something that actually works, gets our brain juices flowing to try the same thing. Looks like that camera you have has a wide enough angle of view to eliminate those blind spots a mirror can't possibly see. Practical application and a grerat safety feature.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I wouldn't worry too much with 2 holes being drilled but I've seen people drill a whole bunch of 3/8" holes in ROPS to attach things.

I live in very hilly terrain and have either rolled (normally ATV's) or come really close to flipping the RTV and tractor (like rolling down a hill, not just laying it on its side). I want my ROPS as strong as possible.

BC

Your point is certainly valid but my RTV is a 2004 and the previous owner/s have seen fit to drill several holes already. They are 1/4" or less but still there so I'd be SOL anyway. I could weld them closed but their argument would be it was still modified.

If anyone is concerned then a welded tab or clamp would be the way to go.

A reasonable concern. Bob

Kanook

Regarding a modified ROPS...My dealer informd me several years ago when I enquired about it, that the cost of putting the ROPS back to original would have to be deducted from any trade allowance...he couldn't legally sell it in a modified state without incurring potential liability....insurance rstrictions.

OrangeBuggy

That's a darn good idea avantiguy. I have a cab and I'm sure going to look at some backup camera's. Thanks for the post and pictures.
Harry

Kanook

I did the same a few years back...relocated the camera to the rear edge of the roof because it kept getting splattered with muck or in the winter with snow while plowing snow. Disadvantage is that things immediately behind the RTV are not visable (like stuff on the ground) but mine is mostly to see what may be sneeking up on me while out clearing driveways (like school buses or snowplows).

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Regarding a modified ROPS...My dealer informd me several years ago when I enquired about it, that the cost of putting the ROPS back to original would have to be deducted from any trade allowance...he couldn't legally sell it in a modified state without incurring potential liability....insurance rstrictions.

Interesting difference between youens and ussens. I bought mine from a dealer last fall and it had several holes drilled in the upper bar for attachments. Nothing noted about it although they are small.

Good discussion. Bob

Reactions: Doc

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
I finally installed a backup cam for hitch on my X100c today .. Real nice pic for a cheap unit.
Wired it to the head lights so when lights are cam is on. Stuck on dash with Alien tape ,man that stuff is great too .
Mounted under bed, had to offset just a tad as trans and bed are VERY close when dumping bed. IMG_20211128_105847.jpg

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Very nice. I like the steering wheel cover too. And that notepad looks nice sitting there. :D :thumb:
Don’t think that ball point pen will stay up there without getting bumped-off tho’….. he should send it to me for safe keeping.….. :p:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
hmmm never really thought about it .. But yeah.. that Orange knob might have to go . LOLOL