RTV-XG850 Utility Vehicles Recall Alert And Mandatory Safety Campaign

FTG-05

RTV-XG850 Utility Vehicles Recall Alert And Mandatory Safety Campaign​

Name of Product: RTV-XG850 “Sidekick” Utility Vehicles

Hazard:
The utility vehicle’s steering shaft can shear at or near the electric power steering housing, and cause the rider to lose steering control, posing an injury hazard due to risk of collision.

Consumer Contact: Kubota Tractor Corp. at 888-458-2682 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CST Monday through Friday, or online at https://www.kubotausa.com/service-support/safety/safety-notices for more information. Kubota is contacting consumers directly.

Description: This recall involves model year 2018 through 2022 base model Kubota RTV-XG850 Utility Vehicles, known as the “Sidekick.” ”Sidekick” and/or the model number are labeled on the side of the utility vehicle. Data plates of the recalled units have serial numbers ranging from 10001-50018, X0001-X0139, and Y0001-Y1312. The data plate is located on the side of the unit and contains both the model number and serial number.

Units: About 22,000 globally, which includes 19,450 in the US, and about 2,100 in Canada.

Remedy: Inspection of the Electric Power Steering Motor Support Bracket and Repair
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled utility vehicles and contact an authorized Kubota dealer to schedule a free inspection and free repair. Kubota is contacting all known purchasers directly. The Electric Power Steering Unit bracket will be measured for a gap between it and the frame. If your bracket needs adjustment, spacers will be inserted, otherwise, if adjustment is not possible, the Electric Power Steering unit will be replaced.

Incidents/Injuries: Kubota has received five reports of incidents worldwide of steering shaft shearing, with two of those incidents occurring in the United States. No injuries or deaths have been reported globally.

FTG-05

I got a letter from Kubota about this safety recall. Then got an e-mail from my local dealer saying they tried to call me. That's three different ways they have tried to contact me.

I'm on the list for them to come out to my place so they can see if my unit is affected by the recall issue. I've never heard of the dealer coming out vs. taking the vehicle in. Must be pretty serious issue.

In the meantime: No driving or using the unit. :eek:

FTG-05

H&R is supposed to be here this morning to check my RTV. Has anyone ever heard of a dealer going out to their customers place for recall?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
H&R is supposed to be here this morning to check my RTV. Has anyone ever heard of a dealer going out to their customers place for recall?
I "think" they prefer to do it that way for small items. IIRC, they're responsible for hauling your RTV to the dealership & back which for some dealers may be problematic depending on their service department size.

FTG-05

Checked out OK. We spent m ore time talking about blacksmithing and knife making than we did on the RTV.

I did however, find a hole in my belt transmission cover! :(

Messicks = $65 for the cover. :(