RTV900 engine swap from a grasshopper with a D902

Sixsixvette

Ok, Im new to forum and this is my first post. Recently purchased a 2009 RTV900 that was smoking bad. After further inspection found a hole in the block. I found out that it is very difficult to locate a good D902 engine at a reasonable price!! But I did find a low hour 2012 Grasshopper model 325D mower that has a D902 engine in it.

Here is the information on my RTV900 valve cover tag:
Model= D902-ET03
Engine Displacement = .898L
Family = 9KBXL, 898KCB
ECS = EM
Power = 16.1kw / 3200 rpm

Here is the information on the grasshopper valve cover tag:
Model= D902-ET01
Engine Displacement = .898L
Family = BKBXL, 898KCB
ECS = EM
Power = 18.5kw / 3600 rpm

Notice the difference in the model number extension, the first family group number, and of course the higher power and rpm output.

So the question is of course, will this swap work? Will it be pretty much plug and play? Obviously the electrical connections, and accessories may need to be swapped, but will everything bolt up correctly? The extra power and rpms should be a nice benefit, But will this cause HST issues?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the only thing the hst cares about are the rpm. and you can adjust that. i can't answer the exact differences of the engines. make sure they both turn the right direction.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very interesting. Seems like a perfect fit. Please post followups as you move through this swap.

ps: 66 vettes were my fav. I had a 66 chevelle convertible ..wish I could afford one at todays prices. LOL

Sixsixvette

Thanks guys for the good info and feedback. I am going to move forward with the swap and let you know how it goes!

Jim C