RTV900 SUA - Sudden-Unexpected-Acceleration

VT RTV900 Owner

This happened twice with my Kubota RTV900. Just touch the "pedal" and the RTV accelerates very rapidly.
It is sudden, fast, and uncontrollable. First time it happened in reverse and the RTV was stopped by trees. The second time it happened while in forward and
stop when it hit my RV which was 5 feet from the Kubota.

My wife was the driver both times. She said she just touched the pedal as usual. I tried to duplicate the "acceleration" by pushing the pedal quickly to the floor
in an open area, but the acceleration was not even close to the SUA that I witnessed when my wife was driving. She says she just touch the pedal as she has done hundreds of times. She uses the RTV all the time in the yard for many, many years without a problem. It's not operator error.

I have had this RTV900 for more than 10 years and this has never happened before. It's not safe to drive knowing that this may happed again. Today is Sunday or I would be talking with my Kubota dealer.

Has anyone had this or similar experience?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Following. (this sounds as if the swash-plate-linkage has an issue)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'd also check all of the accelerator linkage, making sure it is moving freely. Maybe run some lubricant down and around. Could be something like a stick entwined etc.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the swash plate is controlled by the servo so i doubt it is the swash plate. when this happened was the engine ideling or did the engine rev at the same time as the uncontrolled movement?

VT RTV900 Owner

Thank you to everyone who has made a suggestion and/or comment...

These comments are for the second episode.......My wife was sitting behind the wheel. Both times I was standing nearby. The engine was idling. She put normal pressure on the accelerator pedal to move, not hard or forceful, like "pedal to the metal" or even with the intention of moving away quickly....just intending for a normal slow speed to start moving. Then....suddenly..the RTV launched! From zero...to fast...no hesitation...

This picture was taken after we both calmed down. I put the Kubota (I painted it Green) where it was sitting before it "launched." The "stone guard" on the Trailer was crushed and so was the panel behind the stone guard. The front wheel was five feet from the trailer. Her intention was to move slowly to the right of the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_2084 3.jpeg
    IMG_2084 3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2077 2.jpeg
    IMG_2077 2.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 7

VT RTV900 Owner

Thank you to everyone who has made a suggestion and/or comment...

These comments are for the second episode.......My wife was sitting behind the wheel. Both times I was standing nearby. The engine was idling. She put normal pressure on the accelerator pedal to move, not hard or forceful, like "pedal to the metal" or even with the intention of moving away quickly....just intending for a normal slow speed to start moving. Then....suddenly..the RTV launched! From zero...to fast...no hesitation...

This picture was taken after we both calmed down. I put the Kubota (I painted it Green) where it was sitting before it "launched." The "stone guard" on the Trailer was crushed and so was the panel behind the stone guard. The front wheel was five feet from the trailer. Her intention was to move slowly to the right of the trailer.
It "reved at the same time as the movement"

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I put the Kubota (I painted it Green) where it was sitting before it "launched.".
Oh…. I see! Maybe it was rebellious for being painted JD Green…??? :geek:

(Sorry… couldn’t resist…).

Something tells me the wife’s version of how this happened might be revealing…. :rolleyes: