SCU Cleaning

Chaps

This is an update on what I have done to find the problem. Based on dealer and other opinions of trash in the power steering control unit (SCU), I had a friend lend his eyes and hands to help me disassemble and assemble the unit. No parts such as O-rings and seals were available as this is an OEM unit and no dealer would sell me parts, so we had to be careful and not damage anything during disassembly. My SCU is made by Char-Lynn and is a precision machined piece. We took it completely apart, flushed everything with alcohol, blew out all the ports with compressed air and reassembled the SCU. No noticeable pieces of trash were found while flushing and all the parts were coated with hydraulic fluid before assembly. I mounted the SCU this morning and ran the engine so I could cycle the wheel Left to Right several times and everything seems OK with no leaks. I am going to finish putting everything back on the tractor and running it some this week. I hope this solves the problem, but since it is intermittent, it will be some time before I know for sure. This is a brief summary but to go in more detail it can be lengthy. I would share the info if you will contact me and I have pictures as well.:wink:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Hopefully that will help with the problem.

Chaps original discussion on his problem can be found here.

lmbrsn

Thanks for the info.I hope that it fixes it for you.
Even tho you did not find any trash in the system
Jim

Chaps

Results of SCU Cleaning

Today I was able to give my LB1914 a good workout after cleaning the SCU as I was loading pickups and utility trailers with mulch for several hours. I am happy to report the cleaning cleared up my intermittent steering problem detailed in my prior posting. Again, if any one is interested, I will be happy to discuss the steps taken during the cleaning. Best regards to all.