Smoke Screw Adjustment

10-e-c-dirt

On a X900, just how much is too much. I'm reasonably sure we don't want it rolling coal,:)
Its a PIA on a X900, I can only get 1 big fat arthritic hand at a time behind the oil cooler.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the amount of turns will vary. adjust and drive and repeat. try to get it in a loaded situation so the governor will max out during test. when it just barely begins to smoke is the limit. smoke isn't power

remember to check your RPM. the governor and fuel settings work together. adjusting the fuel won't give more rpm but if the gov isn't calling for speed then it won't open the rack. none of these adjustments will give more speed but they will increase the power so the speed loss on hills will be reduced but not eliminated. it is my opinion these are factory set low for emissions. i could be wrong

Last edited:

10-e-c-dirt

the amount of turns will vary. adjust and drive and repeat. try to get it in a loaded situation so the governor will max out during test. when it just barely begins to smoke is the limit. smoke isn't power
Yep, that's what I was doing, several times, I had it rolling coal once, backed it back too far, no power, Now I have smoke when engine is loaded & accelerating, when I get to full speed on level ground or slightly downhill, very very little if any smoke, Just wondering if this is a good compromise setting, between power & wasting fuel???

10-e-c-dirt

sounds a little rich to me. what is your max no load rpm? did the power and performance change?
Max no load RPM - 3400. I set the RPM up 3-4 years ago when readjusted throttle/transmission linkage.
95+% of my usage is in the fields, very little wide open on the road to another farm. (1/2 miles or less 1way)
Yes, has more power on these TN hills,

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
your adjustments shouldn't be a problem as long as you are happy with the improvement. if it were mine i would increase the max no load to 3600 rpm so the governor could get the use of the extra fuel. probably should confirm this but i think the hst is rated for 3800 rpm or a little more and still in spec. the engine can handle way more rpm than the hst can. these adjustments will improve power but not top speed. these adjustments will however make your speed drop under load a little less.