Sportsman 500 H.O. Question

ItBmine

So I have two Sportsman's left. One is a 570 that I have HATED from day one. The other is my 04-1/2 500 H.O. which I loved and has been absolutely bulletproof. I recently took it on a week long 500 mile ride and it was the only machine out of all of us (brand new ones included) that did not have a problem, other that my carb needle seat is wore and it was horrible on gas now.
I have since bought an RTV-X1100C because the 570 has made me hate Polaris and atv's so bad now. BUT I'd still like to have one fast machine for trail riding on these long tours with friends.

Even though the 500 has been problem free.....it is getting wore out. So wondering if fixing it is throwing money away or if I should just replace both Polaris. The big problem with it is I just now had to put a new driveshaft on it, and new front U-joints. But where the rear driveshaft yoke goes on the shaft that comes out of trans, AND the shafts that come out of front diff....they have a lot of play/slop in them. No seal leaks, but lots of movement. Should I be concerned? And how much work to open everything up and re-bearing? Is it worth it?
Other than the play in the driveline and needing the carb rebuilt, the thing is still in really good shape.

This is it, just washed after the 500 mile ride.

Attachments

• 101_5569.JPG
    101_5569.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice looking sportsman you got there. Love the additional seat, much like what I have on my Honda trike. However with the narrower width I have to wonder how stable that is with two adults on it?

ItBmine

It's very stable Doc. You don't even notice there is anyone sitting in it. And we cross washouts and climb steep hills.

I know technically they are illegal, but we have never been bothered. And if I ever did get charged I would take it to court because when you look from the side she is sitting directly over the center line of the rear axle, has foot pegs and she is well below the weight rating for the rear rack.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We ride double regularly but do not have that kewl of a set up. Wife simply sits behind me on the same seat. It works for getting around our property. The ATV (a Honda 450ES) has rarely been off our property. All 5k miles on her were running our acres.

ItBmine

We do lots of riding all over, and much of it involves running roads and secondary highway to connect trails. I've been stopped a few times by police and conservation officers and never had a problem. They just check my insurance and see that I have a plate and pretty much all of them commented they liked my seat, LOL.

Maybe I'm worrying too much about the play in the spines and yokes. I imagine if they get to the point of a bearing failing, you would think they would take out the oil seals first?
All of my Polaris's had lots of play in all the driveline parts from new, but this one seems to be getting more now that it's 17 years old and has plowed for 8 of those years. I just like this one because it has been trouble free and it has no electronics or drive-by-wire like the new ones.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Like most of us, I rely on my equipment to get us back home after work or fun. If you have seen repeated examples of poor engineering or parts, my opinion is get rid of it. Life is too darn short to just live with something. I can't afford the really sweet rides. So I want what I do have to be right and tight. These are not fit and finish things you describe - they are primary drivetrain issues that left untreated, will fail and strand you. And could even hurt you. I wish manufacturers would leave off the electronic garbage. You can't even buy a stihl chainsaw these days without some electronic crap on it.

ItBmine

Yes, you got that right. The EPA has even made chainsaws junk now with all the emissions related changes. My Stihl dealer/mechanic told me if I ever need to, rebuild my old saws, do not buy new ones.