Steering Cylinder Leak

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
My ‘96-era M4700DT developed a leak at the steering cylinder. The local dealer says it’s an old-style cylinder which has been previously repaired with a mix of new and old style parts …making it complicated to re-seal without buying two different seal-kits costing over $800…. Dealer recommends replacing with entirely new steering cylinder ($1400 part).
I’m disappointed the dealer seems intent on the simple “complete-assembly-replacement” solution instead of a more economical “repair by resealing” via ordering individual seals rather than complete expensive ”kits” which would result in many portions not being used.

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
I would recommend finding a local hydraulic repair shop. They are very good at finding individual seals to rebuild cylinders of all types.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
When I repaired the cylinders on our Case skid steer, I ordered a kit from this place, HWPartStore.com . They also have the tools needed to break down the cylinder ( that I had) and put it back together with. I took pictures of everything and it went back together ok. They may have what you need for this mixture on your cylinder ? Might be worth contacting them. Make sure the shaft isn't too scratched up before putting much into it though. Their prices are great. I think if I remember right, about $35 for a kit. Years before I did this repair, the hydraulic place charged $200 for a lift cylinder repair.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I thought I’d report-back on the outcome of my steering cylinder problem.

Many friends recommended I take it to a hyd-shop. It turns out that would likely have been a terrible non-solution.

The individual seals for this cylinder (6 of them) are not simple O-rings…and cost on average about $65 Each.

The cylinder had apparently been modified previously by some hyd-shop and their lack of experience with it caused them to mix old-style and new-style cylinder parts….which improper-repair resulted in this leak re-occurring after I bought it. The previous repair person had beat almost-to-death the internals of the end-cap trying to get it off…which is likely why they erroneously mixed old/new parts. (Additionally, the old cylinder turns out to have had some bad pitting in the chromed shaft, indicating either poor mfr or poor handling during the previous repair… unable to determine…but if it had been re-used then it would have eventually damaged those new expensive seals anyway.)

The bottom line ended up that a completely new (new-style) cylinder was needed …as recommended by the dealer after all. The old cylinder was handed back to me and it was evident the dealer steered me correctly ….(pardon the pun.)

Bottom line was expensive however. $1500 parts, $500 labor. But it comes with a repair-warranty and while they were at it, discovered my front-wheel drive-shaft and coupler was also damaged. They fixed that for another $200… washed and greased the tractor.

I’m very satisfied and confident they did the right thing. The tractor is back home, at-work on the place.